How I'm telling readers of the magazine I edit and co-own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I'm telling readers of the magazine I edit and co-own

Below is the article that will appear in the spring issue (#14) of Nissan Sport.

Dream job with a car magazine on hiatus, as a world of hope gets packed into an Infiniti EX

Life as managing editor of Nissan Sport has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride lately, and said rollercoaster apparently has been caught in an F5 tornado… a tornado that conveniently just swept up a neighboring knife factory… and is bearing down on a manufacturing plant that produces rubbing alcohol. Yowch.

Since June of 2009, my multiple sclerosis—a debilitating neurological disease that typically strikes young people and is one of the leading causes of disability of those under 50—has been relentless in its aggression. My body is now numb from the neck down and refuses to follow instructions from the brain. In August on my 41st birthday I put on my first pair of Depends. In September I stopped driving my Infiniti G35. In November I begrudgingly decorated my “Daytona Blue” walker with Nissan Sport stickers. And in December I must have crashed my vintage GT-R dozens of times… while testing Need for Speed’s Shift, their latest racing sim for the Xbox (with tons of great Nissans, Infinitis, and Datsuns to drive, I might add). My hands are so numb, playing video games—even the act of typing this column—is challenging.

After 10 years of working on Nissan Sport and Sport Z Magazine, I’m saddened to inform readers that I am taking an indefinite leave of absence from the publication I co-own with the best bunch of guys I could possibly have partnered with: Art, Moto, Mike, and DaveO. I plan to use my extra time to focus more on ActiveMSers.org, the not-for-profit website I started to help people with MS stay as active as possible physically, intellectually, and socially. But even that effort will have to take a back seat to my latest endeavor.

As you are reading this, I am likely in the most dangerous phase of a risky but potentially groundbreaking clinical trial for multiple sclerosis: a stem cell transplant. If all went as planned, my own stem cells were harvest and cleaned of the damaging T cells thought to cause MS. But before the refreshed stem cells were injected back into my body, my immune system was obliterated, essentially resetting it. In theory the procedure could stop the disease in its tracks. … Or it could kill me. The consent form I signed listed the odds of death at 1 in 20 due to the high risk of infection post transplant.

For the trial, my wife and I had to pack up and move our world from Albuquerque to Houston for three months, and our Infiniti EX was more than up to the task. My walker, wheelchair, shower chair, computers, exercise equipment, clothing, it all fit. Including that one enormous piece of luggage called hope.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Dave, you'll be in my prayers. I hope the clinical trial can open up new ways of understanding our MS disease. Keep your chin up and your fighting attitude! Blessings, Bethany
    Last edited by bethcara84; 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM.
    Whatever does not begin with God will end in failure.

Comment

Dave,
      Well, that certainly is taking the battle with the demon to a new level. It appears there is a reasonable chance of success too, albeit at the ultimate personal risk. The admiration that this MSer has for you, who share your effort, intellect, communication skills and more for the benefit of all, is immense. May all of that hard work at staying active stand you in good stead and please God that this will be a success and you recover soon as I am already awaiting your return.
      Gratefully,
      Larry

Comment

Hope

Dave,

I am brought to tears reading your story. I hope and pray that this challenge will be a triumph for you (and all of us MSers). You certainly have the required fighting attitude! Thank you for your honesty in sharing your plight and your willingness to include the "MS family" in your journey.

Kristine

Comment

Dave, you are in my prayers. I haven't seen you since Caitlin's party last January but I have followed your posts. I know you have such a love of a life well-lived and I hope this stem cell transplant will get you back to the activities you enjoy. Michele

Comment

Dave, you and Laura have my admiration and prayers. I look forward to following your journey that can prove to be of help to all of us. You have a fantastic amount of energy and "fight" to overcome and I believe you will. You're a welcome encouragement. Thank you and God bless you both. Karen

Comment

Dear Dave,

You're in my thoughts.
              Hope you're doing ok.
              greeting,
              Angela

Comment

Dave and Laura I am sending all the good karma I can scrape together your way. May the universe do the same.

Comment

Working...
                X