ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 02-10-2020, 07:42 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Winter weather is rolling into New Mexico, so I jumped on my handcycle for three consecutive days. First day I cranked, second day I did ok, and yesterday was more of a spin. Today is definitely a leg day!

What do I do leg-wise since I spend much of my time in a wheelchair? Some squats and calf raises to start (or train on my walker) while my legs are fresh, then a series of exercises on my chair, then I move down to the floor to work stuff I couldn't easily work seated, then I wrap up with stretching. And then I help Laura cook!

Love seeing the progress of others. Newbies, don't be shy!
Old 02-11-2020, 05:45 PM
Veteran Misfit

I have a few weeks of Kripalu yoga under my belt and it is working great, I have noticed that the tightness in my left calf and hip flexors is better afterwards, such that the walk to the bus after is noticeably less stiff than the walk to class...and haven't had any mid sleep wake up to a charlie horse cramp in the middle of the night for some weeks, and no hobbling around when I first wake up. This means I can avoid drugs, neuro was ready with a script for baclofen but we decided to see if I could get it under control this way. Yoga and swimming is doing the trick for me. Last year I was doing lots of treadmill work, trying to progress on a couch to 5k walk/run program, and in hindsight it may have been contributing? Either way I am much happier this winter.

My weekly adult swim lessons go until March 10th, have to decide if I am going to do another session or try public lap swimming on my own...

Looking forward to spring. MS Bike tour in August, and also looking at a kayak event in September "Red River Paddle Challenge" a 45km paddle along the Red River all the way through the city of Winnipeg. Gives me all summer to build up fitness for a big endurance event....and the weather is cooler in september so I don't have to worry about the heat...gotta love a challenge!

Cheers
Karen in ~Winterpeg
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
MS Yoda

Default Snow Weary or Enough of This Snowmagedan Already

Hey Karen, glad you're enjoying yoga. I find that during periods when for one reason or another, I'm not exercising much, yoga is always my way back. And if I don't do it for even a couple of weeks I really notice how much stiffer I am.

I hear you about the winter weather Dave. I've shoveled snow 7 out of the last 14 days. Snow shoveling has become my primary form of exercise and there's a storm moving in tonight that is expected to stick around for a while!!! Still hitting yoga on the days it doesn't snow and managing to get some stretching in once in a while.

Looking forward to warmer and drier days,

Larry