Testing the FitBit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing the FitBit!

Based on your recommendations, I've contacted FitBit and will be testing the device in the coming weeks. It appears to be far more accurate than your run-of-the-mill pedometer. But we'll see. My tests are not that easy. I'll find out if it is worth the $99.

http://www.fitbit.com/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I've been testing the FitBit for a couple days now. Early impressions: far more accurate pedometer than the cheepo one I purchased earlier. I'm not sold on the sleep measurements, though. It had me falling asleep in 2 minutes. I take a half-hour minimum (even with drugs)! I plan to up the sensitivity to see if that would be more accurate.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Upping the sensitivity definitely helped, but it's still not perfect. If you lie still for 5-10 minutes, it thinks you are asleep. But at least it registered my (lack of) sleep mostly accurately, being off less than an hour of what I'd guess was my true sleep time....
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

I use the GoWearFit device. It moniters your activity, level of activity, steps taken, milage, time, and much more. It is supposed to be worn on the arm, but I wear mine on my leg since I use nordic poles which affects its accuracy. For me it is very accurate on my leg. It comes with a watch which you can monitor your activity on. It stores your personal information on the device and online. I had mine for at least two years with very positive accurate results.

I do pay for a monthly subscription to use it, but the device works great. The company is good to work with. It is also found under bodymedia.com.

For info. on the fitbit, you can conduct a search on videofitness.com. The ladies there have used it and have posted there remarks about it. The did comment that many of the devices did not hold up well, or broke down after a short period of time.

Comment

I don't think it's available in the UK yet. I looked and couldn't find it online.

Comment

In my testing so far with the FitBit Ultra it's held up well. In fact, I've gotten sorta attached to it. Every time I pick it up, it reads Hello Dave or Gooooal Dave or Burn it Dave or some other motivational message. It's like having a workout buddy. I'll have a full review ready in the New Year, and a mini one in our next newsletter.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

My FitBit is getting a bit fresh. "I Like U Dave" it said to me yesterday. Well, I like you, too, FitBit. I just set single day highs Saturday with 5,900 steps and 18 flights of stairs climbed (I was hiking uphill in the mountains), the equivalent of the Leaning Tower of Pisa! For both efforts it sent me a badge. It's always on my hip and surprisingly motivating. I don't want to skip a day or it will mess up my weekly averages.

Here is my log for yesterday:

Activity Sat, Apr 7

5909 steps taken
              18 floors climbed
              You have climbed: The Leaning Tower of Pisa
              2.79 miles traveled
              2177 calories burned
              421 active score

Top Daily Step Badge
              5,000 steps
              Top Daily Climb Badge
              10 floors
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Got a Fitbit last week, after reading articles about it. Got the first two badges (5000 steps; 10 floors) and will aim at the 25 floors in one day (we have a flight of stairs in the house, and it does keep track of shorter flights, too, and combines them). I find that it underestimates fast jogging by 5-10%, and overestimates just walking around by the same amount, but then I've been keeping it in my pants pocket. It's better on your torso.
                Surprisingly motivational.

Comment

Hi Stella. amazon.co.uk - amazon.com for Britain - has the fitbit listed. New Ultras are about 80 pounds.

Comment

Hi Celia, thanks, I just clicked on the website for the fitbit and it automatically directs me for the Britain website now. It didn't do that before. Sounds like a good thing and well worth it!

Stella

Comment

Monthly subscription

I almost forgot, do you have to pay for a monthly subscription for the Fitbit?

Comment

No monthly fee. But I do have two warnings.

1) Don't wear the FitBit through airport security.

2) Don't even think about wearing the FitBit in an MRI.

Don't ask me how I know this.
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

How do you know not to wear it in an MRI? I am an MRI Tech thinking of getting one of these, and haven't found anything online about MRI compatibility. I would assume it isn't but I would like to see documentation.

Comment

MRI Tech

I'm an MRI tech, as well, I am doing a research project on activity for MSers, through patientslikeme.com. I have the fitbitone. I am curious about this as well for the MRI compatibility. I am going to assume it is not MRI safe. Although there is definitely a market for a device that can be used as such. I'm guessing it will zap the battery and whatever data is stored at the time. I don't think it'd be any different than a cell phone. If you find it is compatible, I'd love to know so I can not worry all day about taking it on and off.

Comment

Hi Dave
                              I would be interested in knowing your experience with the fit bit through airport security. I've been wearing a fit bit since 2012 and have flown in the U.S. and internationally dozens of times without incident. I'm wondering if I should expect a problem in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X