NEW BLOG: Stubborn or Stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW BLOG: Stubborn or Stupid?

Stubbornness is a trait often revered in those with a disability. That attitude of defiance that we give to our disease so we can power through the tougher times. That ability to raise our middle finger and shout “Take that, MS!” as we soldier on in our quest for normalcy. Alas, there’s a fine line between stubborn and stupid, especially when you have multiple sclerosis—and I’ve got both pretty well covered. Don’t make my mistakes…

NEW BLOG: http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2016...or-stupid.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Today I proudly raised my middle finger to MS by walking (with forearm crutches) two hours and twenty minutes. My feet hurt, my legs are like rubber and the spasticity in my shoulders and neck are causing a headache but for a couple of hours I was winning the war. In this war with MS don't willingly give an inch. ALWAYS fight, ALWAYS.

Comment

This blog really triggered a lot of thought by me. Through the years since my diagnosis in 2004, I have gone through quite a conversion in thought and attitude….especially in using adaptive equipment. It’s not an easy transition to make, as we know. Having spent over a half a century as an “Able Bodied” person, it took several years post 2004 for me to not only accept, but embrace my being a person with a disability, without feeling diminished in doing so. Yes, there are many, many things that I continue to be able to do without adaptive equipment, and I am lucky that I “only” need a few aids to continue to live my life as I want to at this point. But those aids…cane, trekking poles, adaptive gardening tools, recumbent trike and outriggers have done nothing but enhanced my life. These aids have opened doors to a life that is much richer than I would have had if I had held on to my fear of seeming weaker than the general population. A wise friend of mine, during my initial period of angst in being seen with a cane simply said “ If you end up using one, you will do so with grace”. I know this is a very serious response to your blog, but it touched me so! You may highlight your stubbornness and stupidity….I see the conversion to finding how to beat MS back from letting it diminish you. You have faced all the glitches that have come along the way with snarky, irreverent humor, and maybe some kicking (figuratively!) and screaming, but ultimately with, as I see it, a grace. Perfect example of how we can do whatever we want, but may just need to do some things differently than others….. ain’t nothin’ wrong with that…… If I am ever in Albuquerque I would be honored to be a passenger in your car! Won’t even wear my bike helmet!!

And Fat Paul....that is super! Your determination is encouraging me to work harder on breaking the 30 minute mark on my ridiculous walking.
      Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

(smile)

I think I wander back and forth across said fine line on a regular basis. In fact if the fine line is a straight line, I guarantee you I will be on one side or the other most of the day.

I can SO relate to your comments Veronica. It has taken me 5 years to get over myself and embrace the assistive devices that make life comfortable for me. I still rebel against the limitations and have to watch out for negative self talk but I am learning to embrace who I am.

~
        Way to go Paul!

...\O/...
        Liv__Well
        ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Totally with you, Veronica. Thanks for the nice post, but grace? Ha, you haven't seen me in action! I'd be happy to drive you around when you visit.
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
          X