buzzing/vibrating sensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buzzing/vibrating sensation

Hi there. I'm new here, as of yesterday. I got dx in Dec 2008 and after moping around for 3 mos, I decided it's time to get my ass in gear and start working out. I have been extremely active my entire life -- running 2 to 3 miles a day, playing with my 3 yr old, resistance training daily, etc. So why can't I continue this now that I'm dx'd too?
    Well...b/c I can hardly move. Ok, that's an exaggeration. I can move, but it takes a sh*t ton of effort (sorry). I have been in this "first attack" since Nov. 24th, 2008 (which consists of Lhermitte's ( thank you dear cspine lesion), numbness in right forearm/hand and leg muscle weakness. First of all, is 4 mos a really long time for an attack? Seems to be to me, but what do I know, this is all still new to me. I still have all the above symptoms, although maybe a bit less intense (or maybe I'm just more used to them?) And maybe if I had steroids I'd pull out of this -- but I'm 20 wks pregnant and the Dr. said since my symptoms are sensory, it ain't happenin.
    Ok, so....here's the reason I'm posting. When I walk (not even a fast pace) within 2 minutes, I have intense buzzing/vibration from the torso down to my feet. Then after a good 10 minutes, the leg weakness comes. The more I walk, the more I can't. For those of you who have had the above sx's in the past, how long did it last? Besides avoiding getting too hot, any other tips?

thanks in advance and apologies for the length of this novel....

Read the "blunt talk from an expert" post, it should help. And don't give up! The longer you stay inactive the harder it is to get going again. Good luck!

Comment

Oh Yes I Know Exactly What You Mean

Yes Mommy I know what you mean,
      I too was very very active and now I am back into it, I do the eliptcal 48 minutes and run about 10 -12 miles a week. The buzzing comes and goes less and less now. But I know what you are talking about.

Comment

It will get better..

but it might take a bit. I still get heavy leg spasms after any type of physical activity and just have to let it calm down. If I do too much, the weakness does sneak in. Don't give up - it might take a bit since you can't get the steroids in. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and your potassium is okay --- I have to drink a gatorade or powerade now before I work out since I'm constantly too low in my potassium and I notice that it's worse when I'm dehydrated.

Comment

Hi all, I'm late to this party, but totally understand what is going on. It does seem that heat causes this tingly, skin-crawly thing before the legs turn into limp noodles. Humidity gets me worse than the heat. The tingles were actually with me before I was dx'd for a few years.

Stretching before and after helps with the leg cramps, especially the quads. I like the idea of the potassium level maintenance. txhollyann, how do you monitor this? I'll be reading your posts often to try to coax my way into a regimen.

Comment

Sorry I'm just now responding...

Maryserv,

I have been planning and completing my wedding so am just now getting back to normal!!

I have my self-monitoring I do that I found from an extended hospital visit in which they made me suffer through IV potassium (it was not fun!!!) If my feet start going cold (even in the middle of a workout) and the cramps cause my skin to look very tight over my feet (and sometimes in my fingers if it's really bad) - That's how I know my K is running low. My neuro has included it in my 6month blood checks now.

I should be taking a daily vitamin for my iron and potassium levels (which are linked I found out) but I forget that one a lot. I also eat a lot of dark greens and fruit and that seems to be my home remedy.

So, pay attention to what your skin and specific cramps look like when you have the after-workout spasms and have your doc check your potassium levels.

Does that help any?? I'm back swimming again full time and have dealt with some mid-lap cramps and have to remember to take my powerade with me now to the gym...

Comment

Working...
            X