Motivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
    One of the things I personally find motivational is to develop a deeper understanding of exactly what is going on in the body physiologically with exercise. I can frequently relate that with what benefit I might expect WRT my MS (or at least I like to think I can). -

Larry
    Me too. I was always active, in the sense that anyone nowadays who actually gets off the sofa regularly is considered active: a couple of easy runs a week, walking the dog (collie, doesn't do days off), biked to work,hiking....but the neuro referral really spurred me into regular running with targets, and making the Sunday hike up the Snowdon mountains a priority, rather than something I did on a free weekend. It started with a gut feeling of wanting to stay strong physically, but the more I learn the more I realise my gut was right. Use it or lose it!

Comment

Ooh, and oldest marathon runner - I used to work for an exam board here. I put an article about him on an exam paper, because he is a legend It's never too late to start.

Comment

I once asked a wealthy man in his late 60s why he doesn't retire, and he replied: "If you rest, you rust." And that just about sums it up.

Thanks for the article Stella about the oldest marathon runner. It looks like "old guys (and gals )" do rule.

Larry, Thanks for the good advice. I have to give some thought to getting my VO2 max tested. Perhaps I can do this when I return to the states this coming winter. There is definitely room for improved efficiency in my training routine.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrushfan View Post
          Hi Larry,

I have been feeling great and doing a lot of running these past weeks. My last event was a half marathon back in early May in Skopje. Right now I am training to run my second full marathon this coming October in Istanbul. Unfortunately, my employment situation in Kosovo is up in the air after August so I have not committed just yet. We’ll see. My motivation level is rather high right now.
          John
          Hey John, What's the latest on Istanbul?

Comment

MSer bikes across the US

Came across this just the other day. Another avid 61 year old cyclist with MS, from Denver no less. There is hope!

http://travisbikesamerica.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
              Came across this just the other day. Another avid 61 year old cyclist with MS, from Denver no less. There is hope!

http://travisbikesamerica.com/
              Hi Larry, I was wondering about John and Istanbul myself. Thanks for the article as well. I love articles like that. Makes me feel like there is hope after all.

Comment

Exercise Is Medicine

The fall issue of the ACSM journal is out. This issue is dedicated to exercise after injury and to those faced with a chronic condition.

"Exercise IS Medicine!" indeed.

http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?...ONTENTID=16193

Comment

Hip Flexors

I also have an issue with left hip flexor that started with my first relapse two years ago and got a lot worse with my second relapse a year ago. I do stretches for it but beyond that I'm not sure what else to do. My primary suggested PT but my neuro said no PT right now which I agreed with. The symptoms sound exactly like this: "toe drag, foot drop, “vaulting” (a compensatory technique that involves raising the heel on the stronger leg to make it easier to swing the weaker leg through), compensatory hip hike, trunk lean, or circumduction (swinging leg out to the side)."

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ems/index.aspx

This is preceded by pain in the left hip flexor which makes it difficult to impossible to pick up my left leg. In my case it is only happening after about 30 minutes of steady walking.

Comment

Hip Flexors

laacevedo625, that's it exactly! A sports physiologist I saw earlier this year, whom I confided my MS Dx in, said to try individual leg presses with heavy weights, like as much as I can do for 3 X 6 to 8 reps. I plan to work up to that this winter, see if it helps. I also know that exercising on an eliptical machine seems to help my gait, or at least extend the period of time before it becomes painfully obvious. Biggest problem is, if I do nothing, it gets worse.
                    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 10-24-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Seems the ACSM web site is having technical difficulties right now. Unfortunately I didn't keep a copy of the .pdf either.

ACSM is The American College of Sports Medicine and the little quarterly journal I like so much is the "ACSM Fit Society" Page. As I recall, the articles contained pretty general information although there may have been some references to alternative therapies.

I did have a thought on the foot problem, have you tried the Boulder center for sports medicine? Metatarsil injuries are apparently pretty common in sports, they should have experience with that. The web site is http://www.bch.org/sportsmedicine/de...-medicine.aspx

Hope you can get that fixed soon,

Larry

BTW, I have had bones pinned with good success, but not in my feet.

Comment

Working...
                      X