Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too much?

Hey all!
    So my biggest struggle right now is figuring out what I can and can't do. In the years leading up to my diagnosis I had been upping my exercise routine. I had started running (and then broke off the cartilage in my knee) and also doing Group Power (imagine weight lifting with a group to really loud music).
    I know sometimes I feel better after working out and sometimes I'm lucky if I can put one foot in front of the other. How do I know if exercise is good for me or bad for me on any given day?

As an idea to what I'm currently doing. I go for 1-2 15-20 minute walks at work. Plus my goal is for hitting the gym 5 times a week. 3 days cardio (either elliptical, recumbent bike or treadmill) those are usually 15-25 minutes depending on time available and intensity. 2 days weight machines. While I'd rather do free weights, I was concerned about balance and grip. I don't want to drop barbells on my head. I'm in the "heavier weight, shorter rep" camp.

Up until I started running and weight lifting I always went with "listen to your body." Then after I started those activities I realized that sometimes your body lies and you just have to push a little harder til you break through. I would have never thought my body was capable of what it was that I was doing. So, know I'm just all confused. I gained about 20 pounds after my diagnosis when I really needed to lose 30. I've been hovering around the same weight for months and haven't been able to pull it down. Past experience has shown me that the only thing that really helps me is exercise. Nutrition alone doesn't work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey mapgeek,

If you want to lose weight I suggest increasing the time you're doing cardio. What is your speed/incline during cardio? What does your daily diet look like?

Kristen
    Blog: www.faithandmargaritas.blogspot.com
    Twitter: @FaithNMargs
    Instagram: @FaithandMargaritas

Comment

You didn't mention what type of MS you have, but I have had the same questions. Depending on your doctor's philosophy around MS and exercise you may get a pretty lukewarm response, but you should talk to your doctor about your concerns.

I have RRMS. The exercise I do will occasionally cause me some issues but they have always gone away after I've recovered. I personally have not had any long-term problems from exercise.

Are you familiar with the term, "pseudo-exacerbation?" An example of a pseudo-exacerbation for me might be some blurred vision, itching or dizziness when I get overheated. But once I have cooled down and rested, I feel fine again.

One thing is for sure, MS will teach you a lot about your body. I think the "listen to your body" approach is basically sound because MS is unpredictable and progressive so change is to be expected.

My personal exercise strategy is to do what I can, when I can and have fun. I try to eat clean, whole foods and and take care of things like getting enough sleep and managing stress. We are so much more than MS. Staying engaged with the world and the people around is important too.

...\O/...
      Liv__Well
      ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

I think "listen to your body" is a great way to go. As to what is too much, well that can change day to day. Don't be afraid to push yourself.

My neuro had the best advice when I asked him about exercise. He said "Do what you've always done. Adjust where necessary, but don't stop." I've found a cooling vest really helps. They're bulky and a little awkward to work out in but they definitely help by allowing you to work out longer without overheating and really cut down on the recoup time.

Best of luck to you and don't ever give up anything you truly enjoy! Adjust and adapt is the name of the game with MS.

be well,
        azgal

Comment

mapgeek, boy did you come to the right place! All good advice from people with MS who practice what they preach.

Your goal of 5 days a week is admirable and choosing not to do heavy free weights is probably wise, other than that there really aren't any limits on what you can do within whatever your own personal version of the MS will allow. And the chances are good that you will even see improvement in that. Keep on going, the human body was made to improve with use.

Best of luck,
          Larry

Comment

Thanks for all of the good advice guys.
            Kristen - The incline and the speed varies. If I'm doing the treadmill I try to keep the speed around 3.5-3.7. I don't remember what the incline does, but it's not to terrible steep. I'll probably take you up on that offer. I need to switch up my strength routine soon and want to try to figure out how to incorporate body weight exercises.

LivWell - I have RRMS. I am very familiar with the pseudo-exacerbation. I just had one a couple of weeks ago. We're chalking it up to weather changes. My doctor wants and encourages me to exercise.

AZgal - What I really want to do is run. However, due to my knee injury, it's no longer on the table. What I did do on Friday was hopped on an elliptical, put on my old running playlist, closed my eyes, pretended I was running around the park I used to use (holding on to the elliptical) and went flat out. That's as close to running as I think I'm going to get. I went the whole 15 minutes and could have probably gone longer if I didn't need to leave. I just got my cooling vest and I've had one of those neck ice pack things that I typically wear when I'm at the gym.

Thanks again everyone. I don't know if anybody is on My Fitness Pal, but I'm there as MapGeek if you are.

J

Comment

MapGeek, I answered the question of "How much is too much?" for myself the other day. If you're interested, you can see my conclusion here: http://activemsers.wssnoc.net/showth...=5715#post5715

Also, feel free to join us on the "MSers training in 2014" thread if you like.

Larry

Comment

My doctor told that I will know I've done too much if I fall down! She says to listen to my body and my instinct. It takes time to learn your tolerance and we all know things can be unpredictable.

Comment

My first day here

The question "How much is too much?" really hit home to me.

But first, I wish I knew how to introduce myself to the group as a whole. I don't think I have MS: but I do have a debilitating neuromuscular disease with a number of symptoms similar to MS or ALS. At the end of 2011, I was trekking in Nepal. My doctors pushed me and pushed me until I took a statin drug for so-called high cholesterol. Six months later I could hardly walk, and things generally have slowly gotten worse. I personally know two others who have gotten a similar neuromuscular disease from statins, and I've joined a Stopped Our Statins group.

Most of the people in the statin-damaged group are older, and most were never that active. What brought me to this group was shopping for crutches for hikers and finding that truly wonderful review of Sidestix (wonderful for information about the product, but also wonderfully encouraging!). Thank you!!!!

Right now, I do some intense aerobic exercise on an arm bicycle and I lift some weights for upper body and do some core exercises. I've gotten to 40 intense minutes on the arm bike. But 5 minutes on a recumbent bike for legs sets my legs into fasciculations, burning, and cramps. I can't really swim aerobically either because of leg cramps.

I feel that I'm "in shape", but addition to thai chi which I did for years and years, what I miss most is simply being outside. I can't walk or stand for more than 15 minutes or so.

So...is Sidestix the way to go? I sure hope so.

At any rate, I was strongly attracted this group because of the "active" in the name. I know I can learn a lot, and I hope that my situation has enough in common so that I might be welcome here. Thank you. David

Comment

Hi there,

Welcome. And congratulations on keeping active. Keep on moving-we never know when the pathways in our nervous system will kick in. I have Sidestix and absolutely love them. The attachments allow me to go many places.

Interesting about the statins. There have been several clinical trials using statins for MS. I hadn't realized how debilitating they could be.

Take good care,

Teena Marie

Comment

Working...
                    X