Hand control recommendations for vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand control recommendations for vehicles

Lance Blair of Disabled Explorers (www.disabledexplorers.org), who I met at the huge SEMA car show in Las Vegas last year, has the following recommendations on hand controls for disabled drivers.

"I remember meeting you last year and talking about MS, the hand controls that we currently use are made by Sure Grip (http://www.suregrip-hvl.com/index.php) and the feature I really like is that you can apply the brake with a push/pull motion and throttle with a downward rotation at the same time (great for off road needs).

While you don't have to be superman to use the Sure Grip setup it does take some power to apply and hold the brake...not too much though.

I work locally with a shop called Dignified Motors and Dave the owner is a chair user with not a lot of upper body strength so he would be a great resource 877-344-6686, just tell him Lance from Disabled Explorers sent ya."

I hope to have a more detailed article on www.ActiveMSers.org in the coming months about hand control options. I have another friend who uses Sure Grip and really likes his, although he highly recommends the steering knob, which is especially helpful when making right turns. The entire system is also easy to install on any vehicle.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I use hand controls and I used the knob for just a day or so (and during driver rehab) and opted for the C-cuff. I found it very helpful because I didn't have to try to maintain a grip on the steering knob. I like it...but it might be personal preference. I don't have good grip strength in my right hand, so the C-cuff is a safer choice for me.
    Joy
    fides quaerens intellectum

Comment

Working...
    X