Toning shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toning shoes

Has anyone tried out toning shoes? This is probably an individual basis, but wondering if I would get anything out of them that may help with balance.

For someone with no obvious walking impairment, active, but expects to experience balance issues again eventually, do you think they will help?

Anyone have hands-on experience walking for a few weeks in them, or does anyone think they are a waste of time or could actually do damage?

TY,
    -mike

I tried them. My husband said it increased my instability. It had no toning effect, was dangerous for me to use. It did not offer good lateral support so I twisted my ankle.

Comment

I've tried them and use them when I walk the track. It does pose some stability issues...however, I found when I became used to them I was able to compensate and not lose my balance so readily. It helps to start out on a track..ie controlled environment.
      "I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference" -Robert Frost

Comment

I must admit that when I first saw the toning shoes appear on the market I thought to myself, here's yet another weight loss scam. Wear these magic shoes and in a few weeks you'll look just like the model in the photo.

Then, I saw an friend of mine who runs ultra marathons wearing a pair to work one day. I will admit I had to chuckle at first, but he swore by them and said they kept his achilles tendon and calf muscles stretched throughout the day and strengthened his ankles. He would take frequent breaks and stand at his desk and roll back and forth on them.

I personally have never tried on a pair simply because I imagine as was the case for Joy that they can make things worse in terms of balance. There's got to be an easier way to strenghten core muscles while improving balance.
        John

Comment

I had a pair I wore with my AFOs and I had better balance than with just a regular tennis shoe. I am not wearing the AFOs anymore so those shoes got tossed to the back of the closet with them. I chose to go with cute shoes after going back down 2 sizes from a 12 with the AFOs to a 10, but if I was going to get a tennis shoe again I would do the toning ones again to help my balance

Comment

What is AFOs?

Comment

I use them, but I use the New Balance. They don't have those massive, chunky heels and therefore I feel stable. Now I've noticed that some of the other shoe companies are coming out with their second generation shoes and they too feature a flatter base like the New Balance. I also just got some Ecco tennis shoes and these are comfortable and stable (pricey too), but worth every penny!

Comment

Stella, an AFO is Ankle Foot Orthotics, it is for drop foot to hold your toes up so you don't trip on them

Comment

Thanks Krista for telling me what it is. I have one of those as a matter of fact, an ankle brace. So you lost weight on the toning shoes? Which brand may I ask? I have Sketchers but they are quite chunky so I haven't worn them since I got diagnosed because I am afraid to lose my balance and break my ankle. I have thought of going for the Reebok Easy Tone sandals but they were too narrow at the front for me. My only other option is to stop eating since I have been such a bad girl regarding the gym, lol.

Comment

Alas, Bigrushfan may have been onto something. Purchase at your own risk. The FTC is bringing down the hammer. Just published in the USA Today....

-------------

The Federal Trade Commission announced a $25 million settlement with Reebok on Wednesday over what it said were unsubstantiated claims about the exercise benefits of its "toning shoes."

But the issue may not be limited to Reebok. Skechers said in a Securities & Exchange Commission filing last month that the FTC is investigating its advertising and claims about its toning sneakers. Los Angeles attorney Tina Wolfson filed a lawsuit seeking class-action status in January against New Balance, alleging its claims about the toning and calorie-burning potential of its toning shoes were false and misleading.

Toning sneakers have rounded heels and other features that purportedly require more energy for walking. Sales of toning shoes hit about $1 billion last year, the FTC said.

Full article:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ims/50594274/1
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

Stella, I wore a Champion brand toning shoe, much cheaper than the Reebok or Skechers I got them at Payless shoes. And I didn't lose weight on them, lol sorry for the confusion! With the AFOs my shoe size went up 2 sizes because of the bulky plastic brace. So I was in a size 12, and when I stopped wearing them I could fit into the size 10 shoe again. But yes my balance was much better in the shoe, mostly because I had just a small area to walk on on the sole of the shoe.

Comment

Sketchers was recently ordered to pay $40 million in a settlement with the FTC. Over 500,000 folks around the US are going to get refund checks.

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/07/18/S...2581374150357/
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                        X