Shy northern midwesterners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shy northern midwesterners?

I know based on how many people I have signed up on our newsletter that this group is among the best represented for active MSers in the US. Tons of folks from MI and WI. Apparently that area of the country is a bit shy. That's fine, but for this area of the forum to work wonders and help others, someone needs to make the daring first post. Who will it be?
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

From Saint Joseph, MI !!!!

Yes, there seems to be a lot of northern hemisphere people with MS, doesn't there? I was born here and still live here. I have just been diagnosed, but suspect I've had MS for quite some time, and it just stayed mild for years before going into a rough episode last summer - absolutely debilitating. Actually, no actual diagnosis yet, but they are leaning heavily in that direction.

I have just today lost my job. I ran out of FMLA and my doctor would not release me for work, so they released me from working.

This disease will take me where it takes me. I am just along for the ride, trying to hold on and smiling at the funny things that tend to happen to us. We really are are funny with our jerking, falling down, running into walls, forgetting words, dropping things. Last winter I was just walking along and just fell into a snow bank. No warning, just had a leg that would not listen to my brain. Totally messed up my near perfect hair day, smeared my make up. I layed in the snow and just laughed at myself, because I realized how funny the whole affair must have looked. I told my daughter and we both just laughed hard.

Life takes us on twists and turns, we can't avoid this, but I believe life takes on the attitude you adopt. Since we can't help that we have MS, why not make the best of the situation? It's better than wilting in self-pity.

Comment

I agree with you we can't change the fact we have MS, but we can learn to manage it effectively. I have been diagnosed since 1998 and have had my share of ups and downs. I try to stay positive and be as active as I can and it makes my life much more manageable
      scottrj

Comment

Scottrj, where are you in Michigan? I've been to Detroit several times for the car show (why do they have to hold it in the dead of winter??). And dixiedoodie, do you still "not" have MS?
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

I'm located in SE Wisconsin, with a spouse who's coming up on one year since his Dx. We realize we were fortunate, relatively speaking, to get a quick and definitive diagnosis. No disability yet (knocking wood like crazy), but a number of annoying yet manageable symptoms. We are thus far a little disappointed in the support system we've found in the region, but have a good doc who's responsive and knows how to listen. Would definitely be interested in connecting with other MSers occasionally for mutual, positive support.

Comment

Indiana

I am not shy. First thought I had ms 18 years ago. 3 neuros disagreed so I got steroids got a lot better ( optic neuritis mostly then). Had some problems but told the wife I will go back when I can't walk. That happened last September and I finally got a dx. Now it is secondary progressive and sucks! I am 60 so I know I am one of the lucky ones. I run a head start facility with 320 children enrolled and a staff of 40. Went out on FMLA and had to beg my doc to release if I get a power chair. Been back for 2 weeks, still exhausted but glad to be back. Missed those kids. I pray it stays under control for a while but this time steroids did not help. Keeping a positive attitude is key for everyone but especially for us msers. All we can do is try to find some humor and adapt. I don't see it as a disability, I see another challenge to tackle.

Comment

Plymouth, Michigan

Hi, all. I'm Stacey and was diagnosed with MS in 2000 and have lived in Michigan all of my life. I didn't know anyone who had MS. Let alone someone who was 22. A common response from people was, "Ohhh. I'm so sorry. And you're so young". My friends didn't see me differently, so I just tried to keep up with them and would exhaust myself in the process. I was 22 and staying up way too late and repeating the cycle over and over!
              Now, I'm 34, a wife and a mom. It's "normal" to know someone with MS, or know of someone. I don't pull all-nighters anymore . I'm training for my 2nd marathon in October and running/ working out 3-4 days a week.
              Michigan's heat is unforgiving! Over the last 2 years, the heat has been affecting my energy levels. No more running in 85-90 degree weather with 80-100% humidity without a second thought...lol.
              I'm very thankful that I found this site . I will always be active and reading about other MSers who feel the same makes me feel responsible with my MS.

Thanks from Michigan

Comment

Does Iowa fit in this region? I'm in east central Iowa, a bit west of Cedar Rapids. A good friend in Chicago invites me to events there.

We had quite the adventure one day! It was a free day at the Shedd Aquarium, hosted by the NMSS chapter. We learned that if we do that again we WON'T be taking public transportation! No offense to the system there; it was very accommodating and I was impressed. But we had 2 little girls with us, we were both on scooters, and there were too many bus changes!

Comment

Accepting the challenge

Dave,
                  You've thrown down the gauntlet and I just have to pick it up. One thing that I'm definitely not known for is being shy. If anything..I go the other way. For the benefit of other members who have not had the pleasure or displeasure of meeting me....I've been diagnosed with rrms since April of 2009 and have been on Copaxone since that diagnosis. I can certainly relate to those members who say will tell you when they were diagnosed and how long, anecdotally they think they've had it. Years! The most helpful thing for me would have been if I'd been able to get a quick diagnosis when some of those tricky to diagnose symptoms first appeared...oh for a simple diagnostic test! I was actually relieved when I got diagnosed, it answered tons of questions and put lots of those tiny jigsaw pieces in focus. So...3 years later...still have those pesky symptoms...I'm still not sure if I've had relapses or its still the same old..same old. But I am able to better recognize when I'm having those debilitating "brain freezes", the chest tightening, the tingling in the legs...etc. That helps because I can tell my "inner circle" that I'm having a rough time and they'll back off and understand...as much as possible. "But you look the same...you look ok!!!" BTW...I'm in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota..moved here just after my diagnosis and if anyone's looking for great health care...this is the place.

Comment

Happy Birthday Dave

Dave,
                    Happy Birthday!!! Everyone of them is a gift and if you can get away with it...celebrate it for at least a week...I do...and after 30 years with my wife..she just accepts. Try it...you might like it as much as you do hoppy beer...(I do too).

Comment

What? Your birthday?

Dave, Dave, Dave
                      I personally count your birthday as March 26, 2010 --- maybe Laura will agree with me?

Come on, don't stem cells and new immune system count as a birthday?

Your groupie, Caitlin

Comment

Working...
                      X