Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: RC trial to examine the impact of aquatic exercise training in female MSers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: RC trial to examine the impact of aquatic exercise training in female MSers

A randomized controlled trial to examine the impact of aquatic exercise training on functional capacity, balance, and perceptions of fatigue in female patients with multiple sclerosis

Mehdi Kargarfard, Ardalan Shariat, Lee Ingle, Joshua A. Cleland, Mina Kargarfard

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2017.06.015

Abstract

Objective
    To assess the effects of 8-weeks aquatic exercise training program on functional capacity, balance, and perceptions of fatigue in women with multiple sclerosis (MS).

Design
    A randomized controlled design.

Setting
    Referral center of a multiple sclerosis society.

Participants
    Women (age: 36.4 ±8.2) diagnosed with relapsing-remitting (RR-type) MS. After undergoing baseline testing by a neurologist, participants were allocated to either an intervention (aquatic training program) or a control group.

Interventions
    The intervention consisted of an 8-week aquatic training program (3 supervised training sessions per week; session duration; 45-60 min; 50-75% estimated maximum heart rate).

Main measures
    Six-minute walk test (6-MWT); balance (Berg Balance Scale; BBS), and perceptions of fatigue (Modified Fatigue Impact Scale; MFIS), at baseline and after an 8 week intervention. Differences over time between the experimental and control groups were assessed by a 2x2 (group by time) repeated measures analysis of variance (ANOVA).

Results
    32 women completed the 8-week aquatic training intervention (experimental group, n=17; controls, n = 15). All outcome measures improved in the experimental group; 6-MWT performance (451±58 m to 503±57 m; P<0.001); BBS (pre-test mean, 53.59±1.70; post-test mean, 55.18±1.18; P<0.001), and in the MFIS (pre-test mean, 43.1±14.6, post-test mean, 32.8 ±5.9;P<0.01). A significant group-by-time interaction was evident between the experimental and controls groups for 6-MWT:P<0.001, ηp2=0.551; BBS:P<0.001, ηp2=0.423; and MFIS: P<0.001, ηp2=0.679.

Conclusions
    Aquatic exercise training improved functional capacity, balance, and perceptions of fatigue in women with MS.

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Chemicals

This is super encouraging. Thanks for posting it. I know it can be a great form of exercise. I have wondered if there are any studies about the pool chemicals and MS due to my personal experiences. I feel the exercise is really good, especially to keep body temp down, but I have some other reactions that I can't help but wonder if it may be due to the chemicals.

Would love to hear more info on the topic. It may just be my crazy body, but I've wondered if others have experienced the same thing. I would love to hear about things you can do about it, because water aerobics is so fun!

Comment

Working...
    X