ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Optimistic Misfit

I've recently gone from my version of running in May to Nordic Walking. I'd fallen 21 times in May and by the time I figured that out, just accepted and wasn't paying attention, until June and finally got with a Physical Therapist who is certified to work with MS.

I've lost strength in my right leg, balance, coordination, etc. My PT suggested going out with trekking poles as a measure to keep me active but also help with preventing falls. So far so good. By no means am I as fast as I was when I was running - but I haven't been that fast since before I was diagnosed.

Just throwing out another option. My current goal is trying to see if I can increase my base line and see what happens. Luck to everyone & thank you Dave for the useful review on Trekking Poles.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Doing the bump up, as foot drop is an ongoing, stubborn issue that prevents folks from running. There are answers....
Old 10-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Veteran Misfit

Similar to other in this thread, I typically have no issues walking other than the occasional dragging toe when walking, more often when going up stairs (I always hold rail and need to be more mindful - no running up the stairs!).

I tried to get a running routine going but found my left leg would feel like it was going to drop/drag, and I would feel like my foot was slapping down - definitely different than my right. I was doing a couch-5k program (there's a great app for that!) but struggled to get past more than 2.5min of continues running before I would get the discombobulated feeling, tense up, then my breathing and heart rate would blow up. The walk intervals I would recover somewhat and go again.

Then I discovered the Galloway Method of running where you always do intervals - the goal is not to run/jog a continuous 5k, rather runner always does a walk/run interval. Some are even using the Galloway method for marathons - not as a training or learn to run, but as their plan. For those that don't want to give up running I highly suggest looking into this and taking pressure off that you "have to" run the entirety. I found a 1.5min run with 30-60second intervals worked well for me.

Unfortunately for me the running was also triggering a worsening of calf spasticity - major middle of the night cramp and difficulty walking when I first got up in morning - so I have abandoned it for now, but I miss it as it is easy to just throw on the runner and head out the door to go run in the local park. I don't miss treadmill running though, and the walk run intervals are tough to do on the treadmill - greatest risk of fall was in the transition/speed up/down of the belt..... I might do some again in spring again as its a great way to get outdoors and get the cardio in shape. Or powerwalking...