No announcement yet.

Dutch cooling vest geared to athletes: lightweight, form-fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be charging up the vest again shortly for my Houston visit. It'll be a juicy 90+ degrees with delicious humidity. The evaporative portion of the vest works great in dry Albuquerque, so this will be a tough test....

BTW, I will NOT wear it through the security line at the airport, ha!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Vest is charged and ready to fly. I do not expect any issues with the TSA but I do have a note about my MS just in case. I'm ready for the Houston heat!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

I am looking for a vest that I can use in 115 + deg F. weather. I am getting into wheelchair racing as well as handcycling and am looking for a vest that is the least bulky but can sustain up to 2 hours of use. I may have to purchase two and switch them out half way through. I would need to be form fitting and could posibly be used without an overshirt/undershirt. Any sugestions? I have read the work up of the vest that you have done so far.Any information would be helpfull. Thanks.

Comment

TSA was a breeze; they didn't even question it (but I did announce that I had one and put it through the scanner separately). It handled the humidity well when frozen but struggled a bit when thawed as expected. There were pleasant surprises, though. A full report will be upcoming.

cruiserkb, this vest is probably best, followed by the ArcticHeat. I doubt it will last the full hour frozen at 115, but the evaporative portion will take over and should work well on a bike even with a bit of humidity. You can also douse it with ice water for instant chill.
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

I got one of the Izi Pro vests too, it is indeed very form fitting similar to a bike jersey but with extra cooling potential in the built in gel packs. It hasn't been warm enough to really test it here yet but looks like it will be soon.

I'll let you know how it does.

Larry

Comment

How is the testing going? I am verry interested in this as a contender to the Artic vest. I am woried though, I have sent them 2 emails now for posible modifications ,due to wheelchair use, and I have heard nothing in responce.

I have requested to see if it could be shortened up in the belly area so it would not bunch up when I am in the wheelchair or sitting. The pictures of the 2 vests being worn in the wheelchair show alot of bunching. Not a good idea whith repedative movements of the arms. Have you had this problem? Also I requested a custom price for Orange ones to be made with a few printed logo's. Orange for saftey on the road and for the colors of the MS socitey.

Is the one you are testing Black? That seems like a weird choice if it is to be used outdoors. Seems like it would get hot faster.

Keep up the awsome work and testing.

Comment

I still haven't been out in enough heat to worry about cooling on the bike. But I did weigh and wear the Dry Pro Shirt, on a ride, dry. It weighs 6 and 7/8 oz. dry, incredibly light, most of my bike jerseys are heavier. It has a bit of a tight neck on it that I thought might be a problem but was pleasantly surprised to find was not uncomfortable at all. I didn’t notice any chaffing although it is very form fitting, of course, I don't use my arms much on the bike. I also wondered about those black gel cells on the back but didn't notice any heat build up even with the shirt dry. One very positive aspect was the near zero interference with my heart rate monitor, I can't say that about most of my bike jerseys even though everything is 100% polyester.

One of these days when things look like they’re going to heat up, I’ll charge it and put it in a plastic bag and carry it with me until I need it. That should give me a pretty good idea about how well it does relieve the heat.

Later

Comment

Well I got an email back from them this morning, they awnserd a few questions I had on customization. They stated that they normaly only do large batch customization with logos. The rep said that he would talk to his production manager to see if he could do a couple for me. If he could do this I would let everyone know so they could posibly do a few more and save themselves some production costs. I am trying to get them in Orange ( for saftey reasons ). I was thinking of having the MS IS BS logo on the back . On the front left chest I would like to have the activemsers logo and web adress( if Dave permits ), and the MS socity logo with web adress on the right chest. If anyone has a diferent idea or other logos I would love to hear them.

Dave or Lary, could you do me a favor. could you charge your vest and then sit in a chair and try to lay your chest on your legs; if posible. What I am looking for is, does the vest rise up and does it bunch up at the stomach. When I am in a racing wheelchair that is somewhat how I am. If you can get to this position try and raise your elbows up behind your back so your hands hang strait down. Notice if there is any changes in the vest position. This would be very helpfull to me. Thanks.

Comment

cooling vest

I have an Arctic heat vest and have found it to be pretty good. I just recently purchased the Dutch vest. Excellent customer service. I used it yesterday to go to work on a sweltering Montreal day (36c with the humidity) and I wasn't so sure. I may not have charged it sufficiently before putting it in the freezer. I'll try again. It looks pretty sharp-I wore it over a dress so it may be better right next to skin. I'll check for bunching.

Comment

I didn't have any issues with bunching. It is comfortable even when curled in a ball--the material is very flexible.

I have another idea. Instead of getting it in orange, what if your quick-dry shirt underneath was that color. Then put the logos on the two sleeves. That would be more affordable than a custom vest and still be quite visible, especially with an orange or yellow bike helmet and flag. You could even wrap your neck in an orange do-rag. That way you could commit more financial resources to your chair....
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

I have the orange and yellow helmet covered. I also got some specific funding to cover the vests. I am just waiting to hear back if they have the orange material. Cross your fingers that they have it

Comment

this vest is amazing

It was very hot yesterday and the vest was just great. I wore it next to my skin. This time I made sure the crystals were thoroughly charged and it made for better cooling. I like it better than Arctic heat and it certainly looks snazzier. It is important that it fits snugly. No bunching issues.

Comment

I think earlier I said I had the IZI Dry Pro Vest, I don't, what I have is the IZI Dry Pro Shirt. It is strictly an evaporative cooling piece of clothing.

I did charge it up the other day, put it in a plastic baggie and took it on a 2.5 hr bike ride. When I really started noticing the heat, I switched out my bike jersey for the IZI Pro shirt. Wow, what a blast of refreshment that was. I had rung the IZI shirt out to just slightly less than dripping wet. The weight increased from 6 7/8 oz. to almost 20 oz. The heat was in the mid 90's, humidity below 15%. The wet shirt only lasted about 20 minutes under those conditions before it dried out, but the additional cooling fabric was still damp 40 minutes later although not providing a lot of cooling.

This shirt has potential. The evaporative charachteristics of the material are very very good but of course that necessarily means it only holds the cooling potential for a short time. I'm still not sure about the cooling potential of the additional cooling fabric.

This is the shirt:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Well my two custom vests are in production now. After many emails we got the design down and are on our way. I will try and post a pic when they come in. Can't wait to start using them. I will update how they work in 115 deg heat.

Comment

So far the vest has impressed.
                                Dave Bexfield
                                ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                                X