Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: Training in MS, influence of two endurance training protocols (water vs land)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Training in MS, influence of two endurance training protocols (water vs land)

Training in MS: influence of two different endurance training protocols (aquatic versus overland) on cytokine and neurotrophin concentrations during three week randomized controlled trial

J Bansi1
    W Bloch2
    U Gamper1
    J Kesselring1
    1Rehabilitation, Klinik-Valens, Switzerland
    2German Sport University Cologne, Institute of Cardiology and Sports Medicine, Germany
    Jens Bansi, Klinik-Valens, Department of Sports Therapy, CH-7317 Valens, Switzerland.

Abstract

Background: The influences of exercising on cytokine response, fatigue and cardiorespiratory values are important aspects of rehabilitation in persons with multiple sclerosis (PwMS). Exercise performed within these programs is often practised in water but the effects of immersion on PwMS have not been systematically investigated.

Objective: The objective of this study is to determine differences in cytokine and neurotrophin concentrations, fatigue and cardiorespiratory values in response to 3 week endurance training conducted on a cycle ergometer or an aquatic bike.

Methods: A randomized controlled clinical trial was conducted in 60 MS patients (Expanded Disability Status Scale range 1.0–6.5). Resting serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), nerve growth factor (NGF), Interleukin-6, soluble receptor of IL-6 and tumor necrosis factor alpha, and concentrations in response to cardiopulmonary exercise test (CPET), fatigue and cardiorespiratory values were determined at entry and discharge. Subjects performed daily 30 minute training at 60% of VO2max.

Results: Cytokines and neurotrophins showed no significant differences between groups over the training intervention. Within the water group BDNF resting and post-CPET concentrations (p<0.05) showed a significant increase and NGF tended to increase after the training intervention. Short-term effects on BDNF (CEPT) tended to increase at the start and significantly thereafter (p<0.05). No changes occurred in the land group. Other cytokines and fatigue scores remained unchanged over the training period. Cardiorespiratory values improved significantly over time within both groups.

Conclusion: This study indicates that aquatic training activates BDNF regulation and can be an effective training method during rehabilitation in PwMS.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

What? That was very techie. Does it mean its better to go for a swim or a bike ride?
    I need the very simple version, or maybe I should be playing the brain game.
    Jill

Comment

Haha, Jill, that's why I didn't try to explain it myself! I was going to ask an exercise physiologist and/or doc what the heck it all means. I guess if you are a triathlete, you've got both sides covered!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

The full study is available here:
        http://msj.sagepub.com/content/early...58605.full.pdf

It didn't make sense to me at first either but they seem to infer that the difference is probably the cooling aspects of water imersion and that other studies have indicated similar anti-inflamatory responses. Very interesting! I'm not much of a fresh water swimmer but might have to change my attitude.

Still such a long way to go on the effect of exercise on PwMS.
        Larry

Comment

I exercise in the pool at the health club everyday. I do six different water aerobics classes and workout on my own to practice repatterning movements.

The coolness of the water is definitely a help. On days I do strength training on land, I'm a mess until I've put in my hour in the pool after.

And, perhaps most importantly, the water workouts make me so so happy.

Stay lifted,
          Mermaid

Comment

Originally posted by MermaidSusan View Post
            The coolness of the water is definitely a help. On days I do strength training on land, I'm a mess until I've put in my hour in the pool after.

Stay lifted,
            Mermaid
            Oh, that's perfect Mermaid. I was having a hard time figuring out how I was going to get some pool time in during the winter but I think you've got the perfect solution. Do the land based exercise then cool down in the pool with some aerobics. I'm excited to try that, thanks.

Larry

Comment

Working...
            X