ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > Gear

Old 10-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Default REVIEW: Top End XLT Handcycle

I just purchased a new (to me) handcycle off of Craigslist. You can find them if you are patient. List the bike is $2,500, I got mine for $1K and it looks new (still had the plastic seals on the chrome parts). Initial impressions: love it. Our new community is great to ride in, and we can reach the bike trail in under 15 minutes on quiet roads. The bike is a bit hard to turn with an onerous turning radius, but it goes well in a straight line. That said, even when I go all out, my wife can still dust me on her foot-powered trike (my old one). Entry and egress is not as hard as with my old trike, partly because after riding my legs are still fresh instead of obliterated. Are there better trikes on the market? Absolutely, and they can range easily into the $6K range and above. But for my purposes and my neighborhood, and for the price, this one suits me perfectly.

Pluses
Lightweight
Affordable
Uncomplicated (shifter and brake not attached to crank)

Minuses
Turning radius
Lack of low gearing (a $500 "mountain drive" upgrade is available, but not needed where I ride)
Hard to transport

-------------------

Features
Lightweight 6061T6 oval tube aluminum frame.
Capable of speeds up to 20 mph.
Adjustable fore and aft seat position.
Multi-position, adjustable footrest system.
Adjustable tension upholstery.
Vertical ergonomic handles.
Easy-to-reach indexed shifter.
Quick-release axles.
Includes chain guard and chest restraint

Key Specs
Quick-Release Axles: Yes
Weight Capacity: 250 Lbs.
Weight: 35 Lbs.

Turning Radius - 18 feet for 360 circle, 12 feet w/one backing maneuver.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:32 PM
MS Whisperer

That is one sweet looking machine, Dave! I am really happy for you that you finally found the right wheels... It's gotta be a super feeling to be able to roll more comfortably...and just have fun... hurray!! I love it that Laura is now a Low Rider!
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM
MS Yoda

Cool trike for sure Dave. Does being a two trike owner mean you can ride either way, leg powered or hand powered? There might be a certain sense in that. Are the gears inside the front hub?
Old 10-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Thanks Veronica! Larry, when I want to limber up the legs, I'll go for my leg-powered trike (easily adjustable so I can switch off with Laura no problem). But for distance, the arm trike for sure.

The gearing is in the front hub. There are only 7 gears, so any serious hill is a challenge or plain not going to happen. In my area that is not an issue, but I did get to one spot at the end of a trail with a steep hill. Made it halfway up and that was it. The gearing just isn't low enough.

Braking is just spinning the hand crank in reverse. I also have a parking brake that can lock on, which is nice. Again, nothing fancy, but a good touring trike for the flats.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 AM
MS Whisperer

So happy that you found what works for you. Anything to get out there and feel wind in your face again!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Marina, it sure is fun to get out again and just romp. Glad I just went out and purchased it instead of debating the purchase for a year. There's still lots of fall left!
Old 11-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Turns out the Pro series, $1K more expensive, has a full 27 gears. If you add the Mountain Drive to the standard XLT for $500, you can tackle bigger hills. But to shift into it and out of it you have to be fully stopped. Not ideal, but at least it gives riders the ability to tackle steeper slopes, which is not feasible with my trike as is.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:24 PM
MS Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveMSers View Post
Marina, it sure is fun to get out again and just romp. Glad I just went out and purchased it instead of debating the purchase for a year. There's still lots of fall left!
I debated getting my trike for about a year and a half, holding out hope I could still ride the 2 wheeler I has just purchased (a beautiful carbon fiber Ruby Specialized that I don't have the heart to get rid of yet). Now that I have had my trike since June of last year I wish I had done it sooner and not waited so long.

Good for you for not wasting time and just going for it! In the end we can replace money but never time.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Another thing I just discovered after riding on ice a couple days ago. You won't come crashing down when you hit a patch! That is a definite trike advantage. Plus you can stop and take pictures easier.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Senior Misfit

Looks great. Are there any foot powered trikes that are suitable for light off road ie: ditch banks?