Learning Your Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Your Limits

Yesterday, during training on running on hills I had to stop for one set as I was getting overheated, my left eye was getting very painful, and I didn't want to start other MS symptoms up.

I am a coach for a local running program, so I cheered the other runners.

It was frustrating to me having to stop, but I listened to my body and I knew I was doing too much for it.

I felt sad because back before MS I easily could have done this workout and not had to quit.

Have others gone through the same type of thing with their Sport? How did you deal with it?

RunMS - I think that's the hardest part about MS that I've had to deal with. I was actually in the best shape ever when I was Dx'd - mountain biking, trail running, and everything else outdoors! Ever since, it's been hard even getting into a workout routine. Spasticity has me trying all sorts of new things - in new ways. And, just when you think you have a routine down, a bad day throws you off. My word of advice - Flexibility! My goal now is going to sticking with the pool - cooler temps & less body stress! Keep logging miles!!!

Comment

Most frustrating for me is going from a double-black diamond snowboarder to one who can now only do easy blacks (mostly sticking to blue cruisers). I used to love the steeps and moguls, but I just don't have enough pop in the legs to handle the difficult terrain.

That said, I've snowboarded with MS in the Canadian Rockies, New Zealand, and all throughout Colorado and New Mexico. And I still have a great time. I'm outdoors, enjoying the sport I'm most passionate about. I guess I focus most on what I can do and don't think much about what I can't do....
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

It is very difficult at times for me to realize I am doing the best I can. Last night when I was running we were supposed to be doing a "tempo" run. I did the best I could, but I kept thinking I could do better if I didn't have this MS.

I need to remember what my nurse told me that taught me to inject that I shouldn't look back at what times, etc., I used to do my races in. For me to look at what I am doing now

Comment

There are limits, and then there are limits

I've been diagnosed for about 2 years, and I also train and teach karate (training 8 years now, teaching ~3). I teach the youth class mainly.

Last week, I started going downhill fast, and have been struggling ever since - stumbling a lot, dizziness, headache and nausea, and mainly a stupid left side. So I've been dreading finally having 'the conversation' with the kids I teach -- most of the adults (and definitely the other black belts) know about my diagnosis, but I've never talked to the kids about it, and usually it's not like they can tell.

I thought the day had finally come -- but it hadn't. I held it together. I said something at the beginning about having really bad balance that day, but I didn't stumble or anything. Granted I don't often get much of a workout when I'm teaching, but I was surprised at how well I did.

I was inspired, too, to try harder in my own class immediately following theirs, and I found that if I concentrated, I could perform better than I expected, even though it was tough.

Unfortunately, i do seem to have strained (not sprained or torn, just strained) some muscles that I wasn't feeling at the time. Still, it was educational. this latest episode (flare, perhaps, hard to tell) has been a roller coaster -- one day i'm awful, the next I'm kinda bad, then almost ok, then bad again...

Comment

Working...
          X