STUDY: Caffeine and alcohol intakes have no association with risk of MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Caffeine and alcohol intakes have no association with risk of MS

Not only are caffeine and alcohol not associated with getting MS, but studies have shown they may slow progression (http://health.usnews.com/health-news...ms-progression). - Dave

Caffeine and alcohol intakes have no association with risk of multiple sclerosis

J Massa1,2
    EJ O’Reilly1,2
    KL Munger2
    A Ascherio3

1Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, USA

2Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, USA

3Departments of Epidemiology and Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, USA; Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, USA; Harvard Medical School, USA

Jennifer Massa, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, 665 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA.

Abstract

Background: The association between alcohol and caffeine intakes and risk of multiple sclerosis (MS) is unclear; no prospective studies have examined this relationship.

Objective: We examined intakes of alcohol and caffeine in relation to risk of multiple sclerosis.

Methods: Intakes of alcohol and caffeine were examined in relation to the risk of MS in two large cohorts of women, the Nurses’ Health Study (NHS; 92,275 women followed from 1980 to 2004) and Nurses’ Health Study II (NHS II; 95,051 women followed from 1991 to 2005). Their diet was assessed at baseline and every four years thereafter. During the follow-up, 282 cases of MS were confirmed with onset of symptoms after baseline. Twenty-four cases were missing information on alcohol intake, leaving a total of 258 cases for the alcohol analyses.

Results: Neither total alcohol consumption, nor consumption of beer, wine, or liquor was related to MS risk. The multivariable-adjusted pooled relative risk (RR) found by comparing categories of alcohol intake to 0 gm/day was 1.07 (95% CI: 0.32–1.99) for 0.1–4.9 gm/day, 1.01 (0.32–1.99) for 5.0–14.9 gm/day, 1.21 (0.69–2.15) for 15.0–29.9 gm/day, and 0.80 (0.32–1.99) for 30+ gm/day; (p for trend=0.89). Caffeine intake was also not significantly associated with MS risk. The multivariable adjusted pooled RR comparing highest to lowest quintile of caffeine intake was 1.14; 95% CI: 0.79–1.66; p for trend=0.71. Consideration of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee separately also yielded null results.

Conclusion: These results do not support an association between alcohol and caffeine intakes and MS risk.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

This is the best news I've heard in a long time.

Comment

Cheers!

I knew my nightly glass of wine was good for me.

Comment

finally good news

If this true I'm probably on course for a full recovery

Comment

Ha, so am I!
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
          X