Cognitive function update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cognitive function update

I've never had bad cog fog, something I'm quite appreciative of. I know it can extremely challenging and frustrating. That said, in the months preceding the SCT (late 2009, early 2010) my brain was a bit fuzzy. It was challenging to follow a movie from start to finish with all the plot twists. Words escaped my brain--words I should have known. I was more forgetful. My normal wittiness was dulled. You know, that sort of thing. Nothing dramatic, just seeping brain drain.

Anyway, on my official clinical trial test (PASAT) I'd been steadily getting better. For the baseline, I missed 10+, month 6 I missed 6, year 1 had 3 misses and year 2 just 1, or statistically in the margin of error for perfect.

A couple months ago I started playing Lumosity, that brain game website. According to my score, after a slow start I now rank in the 86th percentile for my age group (40-44) and my best area of testing is in, of all things, memory. Which means now I can't grouse about my brain to my wife nor use my MS when I forget something.

Why is my brain working so decently? Natural recovery from SCT? Training on the computer? Fluke? All of the above? Dunno, but I'll take it.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I'll soon have to stop playing Lumosity. I'm now at 88%, which is a total anomaly and certainly a computer glitch. That means if I keep on playing, my score will inevitably drop and I will be officially dumber (according to my computer). Krikey, the pressure. It is supposed to be fun, not stressful.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I'm now at 92% for my age group. With 25 million Lumosity users, that surprises me. And I still enjoy playing the games as they continue to be challenging. I'll be writing them to discuss my results. This may be helpful to us MSers....
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Ah, shit Dave!

Never heard of Lumosity .. Maybe I could improve my status at the NIH?

Went to a fall assessment
        Gig at the Senior Center today, by UNM PT students... Hahaha! I already knew I was a huge fall risk!

Comment

Cross post from the Fitness forum (note 93% and counting):

I heard back from the folks at Lumosity and they have generously offered ActiveMSers 25% off all subscriptions a year and longer through December 31, 2012. Go here for details:
          http://activemsers.wssnoc.net/showthread.php?t=1064

If you are not a member of ActiveMSers, sign up at www.activemsers.org and you will be sent the password to enter the Member's Only forum. Passwords are also repeated in every newsletter as a reminder. Note: you do not need to be registered with the forum to enter this area--you only need the password provided by ActiveMSers.

BTW, I'm now up to 93% (egad!), but my score is going to start suffering. My wife Laura wants to play because she thinks a) it looks fun and b) she can whoop my rear. I agree with a, but I'm not so sure about b!
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Urp, I'm now up to the 97th percentile. And they've introduced decimals, so I can track my gains by tenths of a percent now. I guess it's time to up my daily training from 15 minutes to 6 hours to become the Michael Phelps of Lumosity! Oh, I jest. I believe I've just about hit my personal ceiling, but 98 sounds better than 97, so I guess I'll keep working at it....
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Ha, hit 98th percentile today. And my memory continues to lead the way, rated in the 99.3rd percentile. Go figure. I can now never forget to pickup anything at the grocery store.
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

99th percentile. Unfortunately whenever I play, if I don't get near a personal best, my overall score dips. And my personal bests are now pretty good, so it took a couple months to gain one percentage point. And the next time I play, my score will almost certainly go down. So I figured I better note my brain score now rather than tomorrow when I'll be back in the 98 range....
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

Hello Dave,
                  It is about 3 months I play and I am at 92.5% for my age group and I if you ask my wife she will say NO WAY!! and she will be right. My explanation is that they include every one who try and register for free. So they never improve but make the pool larger and larger!

On the other hand I really love to play every day and I am progressing pretty good witch is what is important.

Thank to have introduced me to that game.
                  Alain

Comment

I found an android app for my Kindle Fire called Mind Games. No scientific studies have proven this particular set of exercises causes any improvement in cognitive ability, but the company, Mindware Consulting, Inc. invites a research study.

Some of the games are pretty challenging and I have experienced an interesting "fatigue" after playing some of them.

The note in the overview states, "You will also notice that sometimes your scores will drop temporarily, and this may relate to a number of things (stress, nutrition, fatigue, effort level, or everyday variations). At times, this may alert you to the need for better self-care." Mind Games is also available on Google play.

There seem to be a lot of cognitive improvement games available these days. MSActiveSource.com and AARP also provide a few.

...\O/...
                    Liv__Well
                    ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Thanks for the tips, LivWell! I'll be sure to check them out. And Alain, it looks like we both were ranked almost the exact same after three months. Hmm.... Are we just equally brilliant? Or are our wives correct and anyone who plays regularly will automatically get that score regardless of talent. BTW, what is your favorite game so far? Most frustrating?
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

Dave,
                        I have some good qualities but brillance is maybe not one of them. Should we challenge our wives to a match...uhm, maybe not? What do you think?
                        My favorite games are eagle eye and familiar faces
                        The most challenging are the speed one like Penguin poursuit and speed match.
                        Let see if you can reach 100%
                        Good luck
                        Alain

Comment

Speed is my weakest subject. Penguin Pursuit is even harder because my keyboard arrow keys are too close together.

I like most of the games, but the word games are extra fun for me, except for the fact that I'm a crummy speller. The puzzle game Disillusion is more frustrating (and addictive) than most. I can play that for an hour trying to beat a level.

I just changed my profile to "advanced" to get some harder games tossed my way. Now the Matrix game spins....
                          Dave Bexfield
                          ActiveMSers

Comment

Oh, and Laura plays sometimes and she picks it up so quick, I don't think I'd want to compete, ha!
                            Dave Bexfield
                            ActiveMSers

Comment

Dave,
                              No words bubble for me ! I mix too much the French and the English.
                              I could not play dillusion for that long my hand just get so tight and I get so excited and tense! so I never play on the evening or I can't sleep!!
                              Let me know how you are doing on the advance level I may try it in a while.
                              Change your age group to 75+ see if you get 100% ( I don't) but if I choose 20 to 24 I fall in the 41% and 16% for speed!! ( I am 66)
                              Damn...age matters.

Have fun.

Alain

Comment

Working...
                              X