REVIEW: New cooling vest "game changer" in stealth, comfort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVIEW: New cooling vest "game changer" in stealth, comfort

One frustrating fact of cooling vests is that they tend to be bulky, clunky, heavy, and most announce their presence like a 6-pound cyst growing out of your neck. People don’t want to stare or ask questions… but then they stare and ask questions. Thermapparel is flipping the script and has designed a vest—the UnderCool—that is virtually completely hidden, weighs less than two pounds, and lasts longer than many of their larger, full-vest competitors. Now, to reach these impressive benchmarks there naturally is a bit of give and take in the design, but not as much as one would think.

REVIEW: http://activemsers.org/thermapparelundercool.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Note that I will try to publish more images of this vest. It checks a lot of boxes.

D
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Does this option seem like it would be the best option for bike riding?

The open front looks useful to take advantage of cooling from airflow while riding.

My girlfriend has MS and will be riding the MS150 from Houston to Austin and the ride has been moved later this year when the weather is warmer.

Comment

I think this would work well for riding. Note that on a roasty hot day you might not get more than an hour or so of solid cooling.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Originally posted by jincopunk View Post
          Does this option seem like it would be the best option for bike riding?

The open front looks useful to take advantage of cooling from airflow while riding.

My girlfriend has MS and will be riding the MS150 from Houston to Austin and the ride has been moved later this year when the weather is warmer.
          Did you purchase Undercool? How does it perform in your environment's temperature?

Comment

Tried out my Undercool today!

My Undercool vest arrived yesterday, and I got to try it out today. In 93 degree heat (I live in Florida), I wore it while weeding (in the shade) for about an hour. The packs were still cool at that point, but probably not for much longer I had bought a spare set of cooling packs, so swapped them out. Dave, I think I see why you found that a little difficult, but wasn't any more troublesome than putting on panty hose Looking forward to continuing trying out the vest. I'm relatively recently diagnosed with MS, so still figuring out my "new normal."

Comment

Received this bit of welcome news from the staff at ThermApparel. -D

ThermApparel now has free shipping in the continental US. Free shipping is not just for Amazon anymore. As the world around us changes, we are trying to do our part. We are fully stocked and still shipping orders daily.

Free shipping is just the first step in new and exciting things we will be rolling out over the next few months. Look for more email announcements shortly.

www.thermapparel.com
              www.facebook.com/ThermApparel
              www.twitter.com/Thermapparel
              www.pinterest.com/thermapparel
              www.instagram.com/thermapparel
              www.linkedin.com/company/thermapparel
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

I have not tried this specific cooling vest, but as the manufacturer says the lack of cooling in the chest is a negative. I would greatly agree with their assessment, at least for me, because my chest is one of the areas that gets the hottest. Core cooling [ chest, abdomen, upper, mid & lower back and neck] results in cooling of the whole body according to scientific studies, as well as the anatomical and physiological facts that the major blood vessels to the rest of the body originate and flow from these areas.

Comment

Totally get your point, Dad, but weight and bulk and concealment is such a factor, that many MSers avoid wearing cooling vests altogether. This solves that problem.

For you: I'd recommend First Line Technology, Glacier Tek, and Coolture. Check 'em out!
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                  X