Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: Exercise interventions to improve sleep quality and daytime sleepiness in MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Exercise interventions to improve sleep quality and daytime sleepiness in MS

Based on these study results, moderate or light exercise improves sleep quality at night and an aerobic program can lower daytime sleepiness. The full article goes into far more depth than I can go into here. - D

Randomized controlled trial of exercise interventions to improve sleep quality and daytime sleepiness in individuals with multiple sclerosis: A pilot study

Catherine F Siengsukon⇑
    Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, University of Kansas Medical Center, USA
    Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Mail Stop 2002, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA.

Abstract
    Background Nearly 70% of individuals with multiple sclerosis (MS) experience sleep disturbances. Increasing physical activity in people with MS has been shown to produce a moderate improvement in sleep quality, and exercise has been shown to improve sleep quality in non-neurologically impaired adults.

Objective The purpose of this pilot randomized controlled trial study was to examine the effect of two exercise interventions on sleep quality and daytime sleepiness in individuals with MS.

Methods Twenty-eight individuals with relapsing–remitting or secondary progressive MS were randomized into one of two 12-week exercise interventions: a supervised, moderate-intensity aerobic exercise (AE) program or an unsupervised, low-intensity walking and stretching (WS) program. Only individuals who were ≥ 70% compliant with the programs were included in analysis (n = 12 AE; n = 10 WS).

Results Both groups demonstrated a moderate improvement in sleep quality, although only the improvement by the WS group was statistically significant. Only the AE group demonstrated a significant improvement in daytime sleepiness. Change in sleep quality and daytime sleepiness was not correlated with disease severity or with change in cardiovascular fitness, depression, or fatigue.

Conclusion The mechanisms for improvement in sleep quality and daytime sleepiness need further investigation, but may be due to introduction of zeitgebers to improve circadian rhythm.

FULL ARTICLE:
    http://mso.sagepub.com/content/2/2055217316680639.full

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I totally agree with this 100%! A few years ago I started having massive sleep issues and exercise has been a great help to me. I am sleeping more regularly and better now, but after a hard work out I definitely sleep better.

Comment

Exercise definitely helps me sleep too, Marina. And daytime sleepiness for me is minimal, but maybe I'm just weird. MS fatigue is usually not a big issue. Probably a combination of decent sleep, regular (hard) exercise, and luck of the draw. I'll take it.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Am I reading this correctly ?

Results Both groups demonstrated a moderate improvement in sleep quality, although only the improvement by the WS group was statistically significant. ......
        The WS group - walking and stretching - had better sleep than harder exercising group ?

Comment

Mother was right

Never under estimate the pure ecstacy of an impromptu afternoon nap! (Or am I showing my age?)

Comment

Working...
          X