BLOG: The BEST Place to Live (If You Have MS) ENCORE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLOG: The BEST Place to Live (If You Have MS) ENCORE

I got a question the other day about where would be the best place to relocate to if you have multiple sclerosis. So I put on my thinkin’ cap—and contrary to what my sisters say, it is not tall and pointy—and started narrowing down options. And I came up with the perfect place.

http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2013...u-have-ms.html

Where is your perfect place to live?
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Hi Dave,

very interesting topic I must say! I will write a little of my take on this.

Be careful what you wish for, for it just might come true is what I have to say.... When I was a teenager, I went through a phase of being a fan of the Bay City Rollers and from then on I was obsessed with any books on Scotland, i.e., novels, music and later on when I got older I would attend yearly Scottish conventions. I had a dream of moving to Scotland someday. And that someday presented itself years down the line and now I have been here for nearly 8 years. During this time that I have been here, I still get incredibly homesick. I miss my family and friends, I miss Mexican food, the American people in general, more things to do in California, my yearly weekend getaways to Vegas, I miss the sun, everything. In recent years, I have yearned to go back to California and started to put some plans into action but last month, I got diagnosed and I don't know if that is going to put a damper on my plans now. I was discussing this with my regular doctor (not the neurologist) telling her my fears, what if my condition worsens and I want to go back and can't get a good job (hence good insurance), she understood what I meant and she described someone that just moved to Scotland with cancer from the U.S. I would have loved to pry her with some questions regarding this patient but due to patient confidentiality, I know I wouldn't've been able to find out. Here I am stuck out here after being diagnosed, not knowing what is going to happen. Wanting to be back home... Now don't get me wrong, there are some plusses to being in Scotland like the weather is really mild in the spring and summer time, but it rains a helluva lot, sometimes all the time. The winters are starting to get more colder than usual. I detest the winters. My car is an ice cube on the coldest of days. I have never felt such cold in all of my life. The food, you get used to it but I miss my Mexican food and those delicious American cheeseburgers, lol. There is also more food variety in the U.S. and also in California, there is more stores with healthy food choices than here. For instance, I have tried to find bran muffins to no avail. They are basically unheard of. And becoming a vegan seems almost impossible. A vegetarian would have it easier. I suppose the most important thing is the medical system and it is excellent. The NHS really looks after its people. Given the choice though, I still would prefer to be back home with a great job as I usually had. As Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz said, "There's no place like home."

Stella

Comment

I reposted this blog on the new blog platform (at Blogger) and updated the link.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
      X