Wow, I just made a full dinner standing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, I just made a full dinner standing up

A year ago I didn't have the strength to stand up to butter my toast. Last night I made a full dinner (granted, a stir fry) standing up, without rest, and then only with the occasional aide of a single forearm crutch. Julienning carrots, slicing meat, prepping rice, pressing garlic, mincing ginger, dicing chiles, making a sauce, and cooking it all up. To top it off, I did it all with a beer in hand (well, not the entire time). How did I celebrate? With another beer!

I love to cook and had gotten quite skilled using my walker around the kitchen (an absolute necessity if you have balance issues). It felt strange and rewarding to set it aside for an evening to play "standing chef" instead of "rolling chef." That said, I taught myself to be a pretty darn good chef when parked, even if I am a bit slower. Sitting and carefully rolling with a pot of boiling water is far safer than trying to walk with one, that's for sure. (Or better yet, use your spouse for those tasks!)
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Thank you for sharing your continued progress. You are an inspiration and a great source of hope.

Comment

Dave,
      I have been really out of the loop in replies for quite a while but you haven't been out of my thoughts. I am SO GLAD that the treatment has helped you. You are a very special person....dedicated, tenacious, driven (now in both tenses), focused, and willful. Something that is really important and necessary in fighting this disease. May all of your hardships of the past year slowly fade away as you enjoy your "new life" of discoveries. Keep up the great newsletter. You always lift my spirits and make me laugh. Laughter ....the best medicine.
      Best wishes,
      Gale

Comment

Thanks Gale. I've always had fun, even when this darn disease was weighing me down in a big way a year ago. I can't believe all the changes. It seems like yesterday I was in a Vietnamese nail salon getting my toenails trimmed since I didn't I have the strength or coordination to do it on my own...
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
        X