Gadium toxcity with frequent MRIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gadium toxcity with frequent MRIs

As an MRI frequent flyer, this medical journal article surveying gadium toxitcy with frequent MRIs caught my eye.

I pass it on, although a bit depressing, because I know a key to MSer health is to self advocate. Unfortunately, i think neuros will not intitate a risk/ benefit discussion about using GAD inhancement for fear of liability. CYA type reason.

My (rather glib) summary of article:

Thought that GAD is quickly secreted and safe in non-renally impared humans is false.
    The gad burden on body increases each MRI with gad. Found in brain, bones, kidneys of non-renally impaired humans.

High dose zinc supplementation (including a teeth product) has caused Harmful Gad retention in a human.

N-acetylcysteine pretreatment inhibits gadolinium-induced cell death in rats but protective dose not established for human
    link to article:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...7/#!po=54.2105
    Last edited by Suebee; 08-20-2017, 08:56 AM. Reason: forgot link :(

Just Wow

I've had 10 MRI's in the last 17 years, and the buildup of gadolinium could be huge. Wondering if the cyst found on one of my kidneys in my latest CT scan could have been caused by it.

I'll be requesting no contrast for my next MRI I think!
    Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
    Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
    Active in amateur radio
    Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
    M.S. since 2000

Comment

Gadium toxicity

Great, just wanted I wanted to read after 10 years of MRI's ( some years even 2)!

The possibility of toxicity was never mentioned to me by anyone.
      Gadium deposits in our major organs can't possibly be good for our MS.

Comment

This is not good news but,

Originally posted by GoatHerder View Post
        I've had 10 MRI's in the last 17 years, and the buildup of gadolinium could be huge. Wondering if the cyst found on one of my kidneys in my latest CT scan could have been caused by it.

I'll be requesting no contrast for my next MRI I think!

Hello
        Thanks for this information. I have had yearly MRIs with gad. For way too many years. I am very glad this information is here to read. Click..click..click went my mind as I am having some painful problems of late. You know, the kind of thing a doctor says we will watch and monitor. This information will make me assert my concerns.

Thanks for the push.

Comment

Gadolinium

Just had my latest MRI in December, and asked my Neuro if I could skip the contrast. Provided the link with the information, just in case he wasn’t aware... bottom line he agreed to let me have the MRI without contrast. My MRI’s have been stable for several years, and perhaps that is why he didn’t resist.

Comment

Glad things are stable for you Lmh. If my neurologist requests another MRI, I'll insist on no more contrast as well.
            Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
            Active in amateur radio
            M.S. since 2000

Comment

For my latest MRI (I've had maybe 4? in 17 years), my neuro requested no gad because he was concerned. He said less is better; guess he knew about this toxicity. The MRI operator said no gad, no MRI. I see him tomorrow and will ask what that was about. Did he not want the contrast? I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10 View Post
                For my latest MRI (I've had maybe 4? in 17 years), my neuro requested no gad because he was concerned. He said less is better; guess he knew about this toxicity. The MRI operator said no gad, no MRI. I see him tomorrow and will ask what that was about. Did he not want the contrast? I don't know.
                May make it harder to read the results, or the MRI place just wants the billable drug sold!
                Active in amateur radio
                M.S. since 2000

Comment

I have only had two mri, one that helped with my diagnosis and another shortly after. After a botched lumbar puncture I vowed that I would limit future tests to only what is needed.

Comment

Mri

My Mri technician said the same thing to me! Insisted that I needed the contrast for the Mri. Well, when I got there I reconfirmed no contrast, and nothing further was said of the matter. Maybe, it needed to be okayed by the radiologist, and is not a common request for the technician.

Comment

So glad your neuros listened to your concerns and made a treatment decision considering your specific needs.

Comment

Working...
                      X