• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Swimming improves balance, fatigue, exercise capacity

Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine
    Volume 61, Supplement, July 2018, Page e248
    Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine
    ISPR8-1003

Aquatic exercise training increases serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor in patients with multiple sclerosis: A randomized controlled study

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rehab.2018.05.576

Background and aims
    Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is neurotrophic factor for MS pathogenesis. However, the impact of acute exercise on BDNF factor is less clear in patients with MS and no study to date has examined this assumption. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of 12-weeks supervised aquatic exercise on serum concentration BDNF, balance, functional exercise capacity, and fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis.

Methods
    Twenty-eight patients MS (mean age = 37 ± 9 years) were randomly assigned to either aquatic exercise group (EX: n = 13), or the control group (CON: n = 15). The patients Ex group exercised 3 times per week, 30 to 60 minutes per session for 12 weeks and included aerobic exercises, strength, flexibility, balance exercise training and walking activities, and the subjects in CON group were asked to maintain normal daily life pattern for the duration of the study. Balance, functional exercise capacity, fatigue, and BDNF serum concentration were measured at before and after intervention.

Results
    The results showed that 12 weeks of aquatic exercise increased BDNF and improved balance, functional exercise capacity, and fatigue in the EX group. In CON group, the serum BDNF level slightly decreased, and fatigue level increased significantly after 12 weeks, but balance and functional exercise capacity did not change. Also, there were significantly differences in serum BDNF, balance, functional exercise capacity, and fatigue between Ex and CON groups after intervention (P < 0.05).

Conclusions
    The study showed that aquatic exercise more effective than treatment in increase BNDF levels of the subjects with MS. This type of activity is a beneficial training method to maintain functional parameters and also to increase the rate of BDNF in the MS.

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

The joy of swimming

I’ve had MS for over 30 years. I get to a pool at least 2 times a week-by walker, forearm crutches,
    rollator, or wheelchair. My motto is “ just show up at the pool and do what you can today”. Moving in the water has kept me active. I have recently stopped trying to just swim laps, but am concentrating on high intensity intervals of moving in the water. I’m not as fatigued after a workout. YouTube videos about exercising in the water with limited leg strength have helped me. Water yoga is great, range of motion exercises and stretching are too. And remember that you can’t fall down.

Comment

Wahoo!!

This is very good to hear. I have started training for a 1.2 mile swim as a part of a Triathlon Relay. I am a runner and cyclist as well as a sprint (short course) triathlete. I just recently started to enjoy swimming and cycling but to hear that it will help with balance adds another layer. My motto is MS Sucks I Don't Have To.
      Ellie

Comment

Hurray for pools in the desert

Dear Dave,
        Just let me say this first (Usually I have my head thoroughly covered with sand so I can try and ignore all these symptoms, pain, leaks, life interruptions, emergencies , etc....but your cheerful positive self always pulls me over so I can learn something.)
        Ahem.
        I started “actually swimming “ about 2 years ago, with very little strength and evn less ability to kick...but I keep faking it...slowly making my way into 15- 20 laps about 3-6 days per week. It takes about an hour to swim, 15 minutes to change, 30 minutes to shower and change again. Not to mention reminding able folks to consider those of us who actually “need” the grab bars of the handicapped shower or restroom.
        Swimming has become my “job” because my fatigue, anxiety, and sleep all improve when I swim that day. That resilience doesn’t seem to last longer than a day for me & my muscles probably could use some land strength training...more on that later...maybe mentioning that plan to this forum will motivate me to stay out of the water long enough to build some other strength.
        Thank you for including me in this fabulous project y’all!
        -Gillian

Comment

Hi Jillian,
          I wanted to thank you for your post. I m just getting into swimming because I am doing a big swim for a triathlon relay team. I am starting to really enjoy it. I am always wanting to run or cycle so this has taken me by surprise. I force myself to do hard things just to prove to myself and MS that I am stronger that this disease. I too need to do more strength training.

Comment

Working...
          X