The inexpensive piece of gear I put on my Xmas list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The inexpensive piece of gear I put on my Xmas list

Okay, this isn't going to sound that exciting nor is it some expensive gadget (only $12), but it could do heaps for motivation and could be the perfect addition to your home gym if you've got a pair of legs that work (even if only occasionally)....

A simple, cheap pedometer. I plan to start counting the number of steps I take every day. Not distance, just steps. Does anyone else use a pedometer on a regular basis?
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Here's a site on counting steps. They say to shoot 500 more steps per day and work up to 10,000. Um, my goals might be more modest. I'm guessing I'm below 3,000 steps per day right now, but I'll find out soon....

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

It would be interesting to see how many steps I take in a normal day. Especially since I have a 3 year old that I have to search out and see what mischief she is getting into and that takes a lot of walking!

Comment

Um, ha, ha. The number of steps I took the first day, uh, was pathetic. Granted I did 50 minutes on the exercise bike, but that doesn't count when it comes to steps. So I'm working harder (and doing a little marching in place). I'm still short of 3K, but with it in the teens in Albuquerque, my outdoor walking is on the back burner—mmm, warm burners—until this cold snap breaks.

Day 1: 617
        Day 2: 2,334
        Day 3: 1,800
        Today: 2,400+
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

I wear a pedometer every day and I love it. It definitely makes me more mindful of whether I am moving around or not, important for me because I have a desk job, I can go hours without moving or getting up!

This way if the number is low I know I should get up and go get my prints out after each one, not just get lazy and save them all up for one trip.

Its also been sort of neat to see how far away certain things are.

Enjoy

Comment

I just found this for recommendations on daily steps. If I went solely by this, and not my 2-hour daily exercise routine, I would be in the Slug/Sloth category (not listed, too lame). Even so, the pedometer is great to help me gauge progress from one week to the next, even if my high mark is 2,500.

---------------------

Based on the best evidence as of the end of 2003, Dr. Catrine Tudor-Locke recommends the following:

Classification of pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:

1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"

2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active."

3) 7,500-9,999 likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."

4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".

5) Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active".
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Turns out 2,000 steps is about a mile. So if I don't leave my front door and I still log that many steps, I guess I can't complain....

But 10,000 steps a day?! Uh, I'm not walking 5 miles anytime soon. 3K will be my new goal on days I exercise my legs.
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Well, so far the good news is that my pedometer tracks steps. Just not ALL of my steps. If I walk lightly or use a cane/crutch, the steps don't always register. After I went grocery shopping for an hour pushing (or hanging onto, as the case may be) that darn cart, my step total barely budged. Grr. I wonder if I should try a different brand? Any favorites out there?
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

I just read another pedometer study involving weight loss. Turns out the average person who wears one loses one pound every 10 weeks—5 pounds a year. That's a good trade for a $15 investment....
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

Dave - I had this one in pretty consistent use for about 2 years and it seems to track very well , I've tried it on a measured track and it was pretty much right on with mileage.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-D...3310037&sr=8-1

Comment

Working...
                    X