ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 01-15-2017, 03:04 PM
MS Gladiator

Thumbs up workout tips

Dave, Awesome! Thanks for your tips. This seems doable or at least attempt-able for me. i will give a try and report back. It will make me accountable.....

By the way, I have tried the "failing arms" thing too on my stationary bike before. I used Julian Michaels DVD to demonstrate specific arm movements. I got 1 lb strap on hand weights (resist temptation to get 5 lb!) and I really liked it because the weight seemed to remind me to focus to move my arms in the correct direction. (If you have propioception issues like me, do yourself a favor and don't move hands near face ). I also printed out an article you posted awhile back about how to do
1 min sprints totaling 10 min and I keep it on my bike. That has been immensely helpful to me for motivation. What kinda active mser am I if can't do 1 min of exercise? Geez. But I sure do hope that the scientists got it right and that such work out is really equivalent to a longer reg paced ride.

Keep the workout tips coming!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:51 PM
MS Gladiator

Small steps for me this week as I finally feel up to some exercise.

Yesterday I went for a 1 miles walk and today I pedaled with light resistance on my bike for 25 minutes. Its not even close to where I want to be now but its something, and given the injury I guess I will take it.

I do have a rather big physical goal this weekend. It would not be a big deal if I were at my usual capacity but now is a challenge. I live outside of DC and plan to go to the Women's March this saturday. This will involve taking the metro there and back (and waiting standing up for a while as the trains will be full). Walking from the station to the rally point, standing for the rally, and then marching 1.5 miles to our end point, then I will need to walk back to a metro. Wish me luck, I hope I am going to be up for it!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:13 PM
MS Warrior

Happy New Year all: I have been really enjoying reading everyone’s posts for the past two weeks. Nice bunch of motivated people, for sure.

Ron, very impressive achievements last year and goals for this year.. Actually had my jaw dropping as I read them.

Marina: so glad to hear you are MOVING again! WooHoo…and your weekend plans are admirable in many ways… be safe and don’t get arrested!! ( Although that would be an interesting post…)

Happy to read posts from Alain, as I remember you from when I first joined the forum. Also happy to read of more trikers here ( that goes for you, too, Cdnturbo…)

Teena Marie: your hip exercise shamed me into remembering to do a similar exercise but not in the water.

Suebee: I am impressed with your moxy. Sounds like you have a lot to deal with, but I like how you continue to tackle it optimistically and proactively. And getting back to work is a wonderful achievement all on its own… draining I am sure, but must also be somewhat exilarating to “get something back”… Good for you. Always appreciate your knowledge on medical subjects.

Larry: ( We know you are here…cloaked…..) Whether it is this week, next week, or next month, I am looking forward to your returning post….

Dave: loving that you get to ride outside so much.

And my deal right now: I am still organizing my new life here, and while the exercise room that I set up has greatly increased the duration and frequency of my exercising, I have realized that I am guilty of putting the most needed exercises on the back burner as I don’t see results very quickly and I get impatient/frustrated, so I stop doing them. Stupid, huh? Do I sound like a 5 year old?? And they all figure around my hips…well, mainly my right hip. Started back with the clam after so many of you suggested it. My PTs have worked with me concerning better posture as I am often guilty of swayback posture and pelvic tilt, (something that Suebee wrote of in a different thread). So in the past week, ( yeah, just starting this ..) I am putting these exercises that include core work to the front of my routine, and I hope I get this into a well established habit. For some hiit, when not on the trike, I have been using the hula hoop…really….. can’t flail my arms as you do, Dave, due to the shoulders that continually flare up, or have limited independent movement… I keep this in the living room, and have been getting in one good session most nights while watching TV. I quickly built up endurance to increase my time per session, and have gotten the heart rate up doing so. Need to get that heart rate monitor. Also figure that HAS to be doing something for my core…..and balance.

Concerning the cycling, I have the goal this week to finally get the inside training to twice weekly. No excuses, the trike is just sitting on the trainer, and I don’t have to move anything.

The two areas where I have been consistant since the move is in using the treadmill twice weekly, and doing all my upper body exercises 2-3 times weekly.

So thanks for the kick in the pants, everyone! Honestly know that I would not stay as motivated as I am, or do as much as I do, if I didn’t read, and post on this thread…..
Old 01-18-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinadca View Post
Small steps for me this week as I finally feel up to some exercise.
Marina, small steps and a bit of patience are what it takes at first. You're on the right track! Good luck with the march. Bring a friend if you can! There are buses organized to go to the march. You can find them on the website: www.womensmarch.com .

I'm thinking too of going myself, but the local sister march in Montreal.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 PM

Hi everyone,

Last year I was just a lurker on this thread, but enjoyed reading about all great things everyone has been doing. This year, I decided to participate more.
At this time, I'm trying to train to do the MS ride in September. I'm also training to do some climbing in Joshua tree in the late summer. Luckily, my climbing friends are the ones who fully understand if I'm halfway up a wall and can't continue.

Thanks for all of the motivation that you all provide to keep on!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

AMC, that sounds awesome. Glad you joined the thread. After a great week of exercising, including a long bike ride, lifting at the gym, and some good home workouts, I'm chilling. But it's a forced chill. Sick. Fortunately just a cold, but it's still punking me, oof.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:45 PM
MS Gladiator

Hi All

Veronica - I am glad to hear you are getting settled in and set up. Go you on getting consistency on walking and the upper body party. The upper body is one I am so lax on, like you I don't see results fast so I stick them on the back burner and go on to something more "fun"!

Ron - Thanks Ron, I know that small steps are more important then no steps or steps backwards but my reptile brain loves to neg myself. :/

Amc - so glad you are joining us this year! The more the merrier!

As for me - the March was great, exhausting, but great. I walked over 9 miles and stood for many hours. I took the trekking pole for the bad side and that helped a lot. I am very glad I went but I paid for it. Soreness and stiffness for days after. Today I finally feel back to normal.

Missing my cardio and feeling despondent about weight gain (Cruise, cold, and then this ankle thing = I weigh about 15-20 pounds more than usual) I started Googling around and found chair cardio!It actually works! I may not be up to regular cardio but seated I found I can do a lot of leg, core, and arm work that gets my heart rate up. I did my first chair work out yesterday. Only 11 minutes but my heart rate was up and I worked up a bit of a sweat. Since I saw my ortho and she ordered me in my brace for another 4 weeks and with pain in my ankle when I move it certain ways I think this will be a big morale booster for me until I can get back to my usual routine, as I am sure it will take me awhile to work back up to where I was.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 AM
MS Gladiator

Marianca,
I'm impressed you're finding your way around the ankle problem! I tried some seated aerobic videos and it was geared to seniors and I lost my enthusiasm, so I tried out various clips of exercise videos posted on line and found I was able to adapt Jillian Michels videos and I liked her persona to help keep me in line and motivated. I ended up buying her 30 Day Shred. (I think I was able to preview all floor exercises in clips on Youtube ahead of time.) I modified her routines by doing "jumping jacks" seated (2-4 limbs moving at same time) and her crazy planks to stand move, I would just do a plank. At first, I felt a little ridiculous (and envious) watching Jillian's fit able body on the screen jumping around and me sitting or laying on my carpet, sometimes face down, but when I could feel my heart working harder and my body working up a sweat, I felt that if this is what it takes, so be it. For quick movements, I obviously slowed it down. Also, Jillian is famous for working multiple muscle groups at the same time, so sometimes I remained seated and did her arm movements with 1 lb weights while I watched her do lunges and squats with 15 lb hand weights. But she shouts out no nonsense encouragement to keep going and the benefits it is to your body really motivated me and kept me from focusing on any disappointment that I had that I wasn't her mirror image in my living room. Anyone looking for DVD exercise video, I recommend checking out all the clips on line and find an exercise personality you like and modify their routine to suit you.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Suebee, I do the exact same thing. I often work out with Laura (30 Day Shred is common) and I modify her workout videos for seated work. Jillian does motivate!

I've found that I can get my heart rate into the cardio zone without too much difficulty. Thrusting your arms overhead is pretty effective, as is seated "running" in place.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:25 PM
MS Yoda

Default “Making a comeback”, or “Crawling out of the Slough of Despond”

Great to see so many new folks and returnees, nice to see you back Alain. Impressive goal this year Susanna, love it. Don’t underestimate the inspiration I, and I’m sure many others get from all of you.

I'm doing much better here. Feeling the best I've felt in months. I'm lifting weights twice a week, doing some form of aerobics at least twice a week and am back at yoga twice a week.

I credit two things. First, most of the pain resulting from the surgery just had to resolve. It took time. There was no way around it. But by the middle of January things began to look up. Second, it took a little help from my friends. The neighbor who walked around the hood with me, the bike buddies who picked me up and took me to coffee, the friend who took me to lunch and a haircut, and the friend who finally coerced me back to the athletic club, and of course my friends on the forum whose support was always on my mind. So, I’m back!

I got outside for my first ride last week, 20 miles, hip flexors were killing me for days afterwards. It was an awful ride. I struggled with my bike skills badly. I couldn't cut a decent line around a corner nor miss a road hazard to save my life, cadence was all over the place, pedal stroke was a lot more triangular than round and I was never in the right gear to start from a dead stop. I also have to use a brace on my weaker ankle because of foot drop that shows up after about 20 minutes, but that might be temporary. If it turns out to be more permanent I'll get a fitted brace. Although strength was sorely lacking, the good news was that I still had endurance.

Four days later I went out again, for 30 miles. Thought I’d try the small hills around my favorite piece of urban countryside. On the hills, I slammed the bike into granny gear and slowly made my way up. A runner ran past me on one of them but when I got to the top right behind her, she had the graciousness to yell over “Nice Job!” I love being out on the bike!

The weather is starting to change here. I'm sure we'll get more snow but we're also beginning to see some nice days, so I will be getting out on the bike whenever I can. Not making any cycling plans for this year yet though. Going to see how things go. Everything I'm doing is at about half of what I was doing before shit hit the fan so I still have a long way to go to even get close to where I was, but it doesn’t matter really because I love just being back out on the bike. (Did I say that already?)

Take care all,
Larry

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 02-07-2017 at 02:28 PM.