Exercise and spasticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise and spasticity

Anyone else find that exercise ie: weight lifting, push-ups etc helps spasticity? I have increased pain and tightness in my shoulders, neck and upper arms. I have found that if I wake up in pain, doing a bunch of push ups will usually let me get back to sleep.

Counter pressure against a spasm works for me sometimes. Also, engaging the muscle to make it work “normally” seems to work out the tightness.

...\O/...
    Liv__Well
    ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Exercise and spasticity

I feel so much better after weight training and stretching. I’m pretty much stiff all the time even with the daily dose of Baclofan, but daily stretches, or movement exercises loosen me up a bit. Even shoulder shrugs and arm rolls help!

Comment

Great to hear that it works for other people.

Comment

I’ve noticed I walk better when I leave the gym than when I walk in. So yes, it definitely helps me. I also walk better when I’ve been out for a ride on my recumbent trike.

Comment

For some strange reason I’m finding after I work for 20 min on the elliptical machine (burns like hell) my legs feel A LOT better- less achy and more ‘in sync’. I can’t explain this. Not sure if it’s like a placebo effect (that you did it) or if it does something...

Comment

I was chatting with my PT and she said twisting motions, especially along the torso, can help break up spasticity before and during exercise. It might take a moment, but it often does the trick. (But not always, grrr.)
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

all in on exercise, CBDs have done better than all Rx drugs at night though

Comment

Originally posted by viriditasj View Post
                  all in on exercise, CBDs have done better than all Rx drugs at night though
                  Absolutely true but I don't think that I could live without baclofen.

Comment

Working...
                  X