ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 AM
MS Yoda

Default Motivation

This showed up in my inbox a couple of weeks ago. It's the American College of Sports Medicine summer journal. This quarters journal deals with motivation and staying motivated. An important issue for the MSer particularly in the dog days of summer.

http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?...entDisplay.cfm
Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM
MS Sage

Hi Larry,

thanks for posting that journal. It was very interesting and motivation is something I have been lacking lately. I will definitely take on board the sound advice and strive for my fitness goals!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Stella, Larry,

Good, clear and concise summary of motivational tips here. The one that rings true for me always is setting reasonable workout goals. In doing so, you set yourself up for psychological success which is extremely important. The summer heat has zapped me a few times already. If it’s bad enough, I adjust my running goal for that day to something I know I can complete without too much difficulty. For me, a bad workout is sometimes harder to swallow mentally than accepting an easier day than planned. I live to run faster and farther another day is my motto.

John
Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 AM
MS Yoda

John and Stella,
Glad you found the ACSM journal useful, it's been one of my favorite sources of information for a long time now.

One of the things I personally find motivational is to develop a deeper understanding of exactly what is going on in the body physiologically with exercise. I can frequently relate that with what benefit I might expect WRT my MS (or at least I like to think I can). Anyway, along those lines, this is another ACSM journal that lists research articles having to do with sports medicine. For the most part only the abstracts are available but for the layman, although the reading can be a bit dense, that's usually enough. So for what it's worth,
http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/pages/currenttoc.aspx

Larry
Old 08-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Larry,

Thanks; it was well worth it indeed. I opened several abstacts and found a number of studies interesting and relevant to my running and trying to stay fit with MS. Another postive vote for caffeine consumption and exercise, and I also enjoyed the study on orthotics and runners.

John
Old 08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
MS Sage

Hi Larry & John,

Speaking of orthotics, my physio referred me to orthotics and my appointment is tomorrow. I still haven't got a clue what I will get out of it or why I was referred. I will soon find out I suppose....
Old 09-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
One of the things I personally find motivational is to develop a deeper understanding of exactly what is going on in the body physiologically with exercise. I can frequently relate that with what benefit I might expect WRT my MS (or at least I like to think I can). -

Larry
Me too. I was always active, in the sense that anyone nowadays who actually gets off the sofa regularly is considered active: a couple of easy runs a week, walking the dog (collie, doesn't do days off), biked to work,hiking....but the neuro referral really spurred me into regular running with targets, and making the Sunday hike up the Snowdon mountains a priority, rather than something I did on a free weekend. It started with a gut feeling of wanting to stay strong physically, but the more I learn the more I realise my gut was right. Use it or lose it!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Default Hip Flexors

I also have an issue with left hip flexor that started with my first relapse two years ago and got a lot worse with my second relapse a year ago. I do stretches for it but beyond that I'm not sure what else to do. My primary suggested PT but my neuro said no PT right now which I agreed with. The symptoms sound exactly like this: "toe drag, foot drop, “vaulting” (a compensatory technique that involves raising the heel on the stronger leg to make it easier to swing the weaker leg through), compensatory hip hike, trunk lean, or circumduction (swinging leg out to the side)."

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ems/index.aspx

This is preceded by pain in the left hip flexor which makes it difficult to impossible to pick up my left leg. In my case it is only happening after about 30 minutes of steady walking.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 AM
MS Yoda

Default Hip Flexors

laacevedo625, that's it exactly! A sports physiologist I saw earlier this year, whom I confided my MS Dx in, said to try individual leg presses with heavy weights, like as much as I can do for 3 X 6 to 8 reps. I plan to work up to that this winter, see if it helps. I also know that exercising on an eliptical machine seems to help my gait, or at least extend the period of time before it becomes painfully obvious. Biggest problem is, if I do nothing, it gets worse.

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 10-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.