ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
MS Sage

Thanks Larry for reposting the link. They really are very interesting articles. After hearing your experience with your ankle brace, I am hoping it works for me as well. At least I know it took about two years for you and not to expect overnight results.

John, I admire you so much for all you have achieved with your running goals. I also enjoy hearing your stories. I am particularly interested in the orthotic inserts you mentioned. Did you have to get fitted with them? I wish I had known about them when I went to the orthotist so maybe he would have given me some to try. At least now I know and perhaps next time, will inquire about them.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 AM
MS Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrushfan View Post
Hi Larry,

I have been feeling great and doing a lot of running these past weeks. My last event was a half marathon back in early May in Skopje. Right now I am training to run my second full marathon this coming October in Istanbul. Unfortunately, my employment situation in Kosovo is up in the air after August so I have not committed just yet. Well see. My motivation level is rather high right now.

Although I experienced two separate micro flare ups while running on the treadmill this past winter --events that led me to this forum-- that approached drop foot, I have not had a full relapse yet. I use custom, orthotic inserts in my running shoes to counter a previous bout of plantar fasciitis. That said, there is no doubt that the inserts give me additional support that helps stabilize my gait and maintain balance. Its no wonder that some doctors are prescribing them for patients with MS and foot/numbness issues.

Thanks again for sharing the above medical studies. I do read them when I make the time.

What's the issue with your hip flexors? I have had IT band issues in my hip many years ago. That's a seperate issue, but I know a lot of good stretches/exercises.

John
Hey John, I did a VO2 test earlier this year that included strength testing and foot/gait analysis. Turned out my right leg was quite a bit weaker than my left, the hip flexor, which was not directly tested, probably exhibits the greatest difference. That is all the result of the MS. I ended up with a weight training program for the leg strength differences but haven't had a chance to implement it yet because I sort of over committed to bike events this year, hopefully this winter.

The difference between what the sports physiologist recommended and what I normally do was to put more emphasis on lifting heavy weights with fewer reps. His reasoning was that the heavier the weight, the more neural activity is required. I'll certainly let people know if I perceive a significant improvement but if experience is any indicator, I think it could take a couple of seasons of concerted effort before I can tell.

I'm feeling good too. I find I have to put in quite a bit of time to maintain that feeling but I enjoy the cycling so it's a pleasure to do that. I also think I've gained slightly in speed if not strength this year and at 61 years old with MS, I consider any gain success.

If you ever get a chance, Id highly recommend a VO2 test. Finding your heart rate zones and implementing a program that uses them effectively can lead to larger gains with less effort. Like most people, I was guilty of pushing too hard. I've got to say, I definately feel better when I don't do that.

A marathon in Istanbul sounds incredible, hope the job holds out, Id really like to hear about that. Hows the air in Istanbul?

Larry
Old 08-30-2011, 02:38 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Talk about motivation. Perhaps many of you caught this article already. Some great people doing great things and staying active, amazing!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/442811...ews/?gt1=43001

I will think of the 81-year-old completing the iron man competition when I go for my run today. I can't imagine it.

John
Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 PM
MS Sage

Quote:
Talk about motivation. Perhaps many of you caught this article already. Some great people doing great things and staying active, amazing!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/442811...ews/?gt1=43001

I will think of the 81-year-old completing the iron man competition when I go for my run today. I can't imagine it.

John
I really enjoyed that article John. Thanks for posting it. Just goes to show that getting older can mean getting better! I saw this man on the news tonight and talk about another inspiration:

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/2...race-aged-101/
Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
MS Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
I really enjoyed that article John. Thanks for posting it. Just goes to show that getting older can mean getting better! I saw this man on the news tonight and talk about another inspiration:

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/2...race-aged-101/
John and Stella,

Yeah,

OLD GUYS RULE!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
One of the things I personally find motivational is to develop a deeper understanding of exactly what is going on in the body physiologically with exercise. I can frequently relate that with what benefit I might expect WRT my MS (or at least I like to think I can). -

Larry
Me too. I was always active, in the sense that anyone nowadays who actually gets off the sofa regularly is considered active: a couple of easy runs a week, walking the dog (collie, doesn't do days off), biked to work,hiking....but the neuro referral really spurred me into regular running with targets, and making the Sunday hike up the Snowdon mountains a priority, rather than something I did on a free weekend. It started with a gut feeling of wanting to stay strong physically, but the more I learn the more I realise my gut was right. Use it or lose it!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Ooh, and oldest marathon runner - I used to work for an exam board here. I put an article about him on an exam paper, because he is a legend It's never too late to start.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Optimistic Misfit

I once asked a wealthy man in his late 60s why he doesn't retire, and he replied: "If you rest, you rust." And that just about sums it up.

Thanks for the article Stella about the oldest marathon runner. It looks like "old guys (and gals )" do rule.

Larry, Thanks for the good advice. I have to give some thought to getting my VO2 max tested. Perhaps I can do this when I return to the states this coming winter. There is definitely room for improved efficiency in my training routine.

John
Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
MS Yoda

Quote:
Hi Larry,

I have been feeling great and doing a lot of running these past weeks. My last event was a half marathon back in early May in Skopje. Right now I am training to run my second full marathon this coming October in Istanbul. Unfortunately, my employment situation in Kosovo is up in the air after August so I have not committed just yet. Well see. My motivation level is rather high right now.
John
Hey John, What's the latest on Istanbul?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:57 AM
MS Yoda

Default MSer bikes across the US

Came across this just the other day. Another avid 61 year old cyclist with MS, from Denver no less. There is hope!

http://travisbikesamerica.com/