No announcement yet.

MSers in Training 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are awesome. Veronica I can do it - I just need to stop the wallowing and do something small.

Comment

Marina, you are right, time is getting short but, for us as MSers, it's really all about the training. The rides are a great incentive but in the greater scheme of things, they are not the critical factor. Hope things settle down there.

Ellie, welcome and good luck on your half, hope to hear how it goes for you. Also hope you'll join us for the bike MS training. When's your ride anyway?

I haven't been on the bike lately either but it looks like we've got a break in the weather so as soon as the snow melts off of the streets and trails I plan to get out there. Meanwhile I'm staying with the core and weight workouts, going to yoga twice a week and keeping up with my PT. We did a version of hopscotch in my last PT session. Jump up with both feet, land 12 inches ahead feet together, immediately jump up again and land ahead feet apart, repeat. It helps to do that in a narrow hallway so I can bounce off the walls if I need to. Also doing squats, jump squats, forward lunges and side lunges or an MSers version thereof. All in all, making good progress.

Take care and hang in there gang,

Comment

The weather is finally starting to look better for getting out and training on my bike for Bike MS, at least here in Virginia! I just upgraded to real cycling shoes and clipless pedals... I haven't been out on them yet. I've been practicing clipping in and out in a narrow hallway in my basement. I am so going to fall over on the road somewhere!

Only a short time to train until June! But we all can do it if we stay positive!

Comment

Hi! I'm new. You all got me excited about a fitness goal. I want to do a 5k but no where neAr being able to accomplish that yet. I need to increase my endurance. What is best way to start interval training on a stationary bike? Or on jogging track? Based on your posts, I think I'm not stretching enough either. Is there a thread by Herb to list ways to stretch? A pt told me my hip flexor is tight on stronger side because of compensation strategies I use. Thanks for all your enthusiasm, it is infectious !

Comment

Hi all,

A little pressed for time so this will be quick.

Welcome Subee. Interval training on the stationary bike can be a combination of speed and resistance at let's say 1-5 min intervals. For example, 5 mins easy pedaling, 1 minute break, 1 minute hard resistance, 1 min break,etc. Breaks are essential. You can mix it up however you see works for you.

Go, Marina, go! Setbacks are frustrating but part of the game.

Dave, nice to see Laura's picture on the home page.

Larry and new cycler, so happy you can start some outdoor training.

My physio is really taking off. He has good experience and is adapting to my needs. The biggest help is our sit to stand exercise. Not only is it increasing my strength, but it's helping on a functional level so that I don't need to hold on to as much when standing up. Also some intense core resistance which is making me straighter. Swimming almost daily. Walking in and out at work is smoother.

Take care all and sorry if I forgot anyone,

Teena Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Steph View Post
              The weather is finally starting to look better for getting out and training on my bike for Bike MS, at least here in Virginia! I just upgraded to real cycling shoes and clipless pedals... I haven't been out on them yet. I've been practicing clipping in and out in a narrow hallway in my basement. I am so going to fall over on the road somewhere!

Only a short time to train until June! But we all can do it if we stay positive!
              Where in VA are you? I am in Northern VA

Comment

Hey all, finally the snow is melting and the temps are above freezing. I feel like I just woke up from a long winters nap. Time to start moving.

Suebee, welcome. A 5k is an admirable goal. Running exercises more muscles in the body than cycling, it's harder and if you can do it then that's definitely what you should do intervals and all. Use the stationary bike if you can't get outside or if you begin to develop joint or tendon problems, otherwise run. You will come to love it.

Steph, congrats on graduating to clipless pedals, you'll come to like them, hopefully without too many bruises. You might consider a little riding on grass until you figure out which side you prefer to dismount on or if you want to try to get both feet out of the clips when stopping. It's a bit of trial and error until you figure out what you're comfortable with.

Got out on the bike twice this week already, started on the short hills. It felt good but there's no doubt the strength and endurance need quite a bit of work. So, I signed up for the Training Peaks 150 mile experienced rider program, it starts next Monday with a day off then progresses to five and six days per week. Great, I'll already be ahead for the first time this year!

TM, glad to hear your personal trainer is working out so well, mine is too. In the last session we did a boxing workout. It went better than I would have expected which is to say I moved my feet while throwing a few punches and didn't fall down. The goal is to try to recover some of the fast twitch muscle that seems to be the first to go with MS. I have hope. Also keeping up with the weights, core, yoga and a little walking although with the cycling picking up, I'm going to drop to two days a week alternating the weights and core.

Keep on moving,
                Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 03-14-2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
                  Where in VA are you? I am in Northern VA
                  Marina, I live near Winchester. Which Bike MS ride are you signed up for? I'm doing the one out of Purcellville, Va. Last year I did the one near Waynesboro, VA, and it was very hilly. I'm hoping this one is a little less hilly!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steph View Post
                    Marina, I live near Winchester. Which Bike MS ride are you signed up for? I'm doing the one out of Purcellville, Va. Last year I did the one near Waynesboro, VA, and it was very hilly. I'm hoping this one is a little less hilly!!
                    I am actually doing Chesapeake Challenge (in MD) as I am on a trike and wanted to commit to a flater ride. The one in Purceville is too hilly for me. I may end up doing the short route.

Since you are familiar with the area, I am in Sterling/Herndon so we're almost neighbors

Comment

Got 106 miles in just under 8 hours in 4 days last week. I use a power meter on the bike. Last year my 20 minute max power hit 135 watts, right now I'm at 109 watts but I am seeing it climb about 2 watts per week, a little less than 2% which I don't think is too bad! It will be interesting to see how long that trend continues, barring any more re-starts.

This weeks PT session centered around core. The test exercise was: lay flat on your back, legs together, left arm back, right arm up in the air, then roll over to the left without using your arms or your feet to assist, the effort is only in the core. Repeat to the right. I could not do this without a push from the trainer. Also I was worse rolling to the right than to the left. Can anybody do this?

Comment

I can, easily, and it feels good, but then I (like you) have "benign" ms, and (unlike you) am unsafe to ride a two-wheel bike in the road.* I learned to do this roll a year after my first MS diagnosis (2003) in a Feldenkreis class: 20 minutes lying on the floor examining feelings of small movements while the instructor talked all 15 of us through it, and then it "took" and still worked years later, without any practice. It did NOT work for me before the class, ever, at least as an adult. Look up Feldenkreis practitioners in your area. It's a nice supplement to regular PT.
                        *Keep up the posts - you're one of my main inspirations on ActiveMSers.

Comment

Hi all,

Turning over from being flat on my back is difficult. Especially in bed. My current core work is helping but I'm glad I have a headboard to hang on to.

Larry, great news on the cycling. Seems it's earlier than last season. No doubt all the PT work is contributing.

Celia, Feldenkrais is something that has always interested me. Do you still do it?I hope to find a practitioner nearby.

Swimming I'm increasing time and distance and come out of the pool feeling like I can climb Mt. Everest.

Home physio twice a week is stellar. We work really hard and what's great is I'm not as tired after.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

Thank you for that Celia. Feldenkrais looks promising and I agree, seems like it would fit in well with the PT. I'll bounce it off of the yoga folks, their a pretty holistic group, I'm guessing there will be a practitioner among them. I'm also guessing it might work well on the hip flexors too.

Teena Marie, I'm experiencing very similar results to what you describe. Generally not as tired, have more energy more of the time and getting faster and faster recovery times, even from walking. I used to think Pell was a little bit nuts for doing as much stuff she consistently did but I gota say, since I've added more and more stuff to my routines, I just feel better and better. I'm sure you're right, the cumulative effect of the weights, core, PT, yoga and walking are the reason my cycling is in as good a shape as it is right now.

Larry

Comment

Hi Guys....I've been out of this loop for too long...

Glad to read posts from so many newbies... really helps me to know there are so many MSers who are keeping very active and not letting the difficulties of this disease keep them from expecting more of themselves.

Larry: It must be Springtime if you are giving us how many miles biked! Sounds all good.....

Celia: Feldencrais has also intrigued me for awhile..... I had a friend with Parkinson's who swore by it..

Teena Marie: Wow, is all I can say about all that you are doing, and the wonderful way you feel after swimming! Makes me smile!

I had been also working on core....with planks... the last modification we put in for side planks really got me to a point where I could crank out a good six at a time. Now I will need to do some different core work temporarily as I have a rotator cuff issue from that fall I took a good month ago. Have been seeing my Ortho PT ( in addition to Herb...) for real hands on work ( ultrasound, electric stim, lots of manipulations and showing me exercises for home.) He thinks the planks aren't helping the shoulder as there are compression issues in doing this....
                              I can't do the roll over exercise.....can just about get mid way, and then I get stuck! The core exercises have, like Teena Marie mentioned, helped me straighten up more. For me, I notice my core bends to the right ( weak side) if I do not keep it in check. Honestly, before I started doing work on my core, I didn't even notice. It is a subtle thing, but I feel so much less fatigued when I keep this aligned properly...which I can now do.

My cycling has really been very minimal, but this is always my M.O. for this time of year. Now that skiing is over for the season, I will switch gears and get my focus on getting on the trainer more consistantly again. I have two more days each week to do so....no excuses... I have some thoughts on how to conquer the dilemna of the trike and the speed, and will post on this once I get this together....

Should have put this with the Walking thread, but I now need to find a track to practice walking outside. Once all this snow ( more coming tomorrow...) finally goes, I will check out the local High School.

Love you guys!
                              Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Celia, I bounced Feldencrais off of one of my yoga teachers. She said she had attended a couple of talks on it but didn't really know much. She also said she didn't think she could roll over without using her arms or legs. Bet she goes home and tries it tonight though huh? Can't wait to bounce it off the hot blond yoga chick. Celia, are you doing any hiking, preparing for Pikes Peak?

V, You're spot on about the subtlety of the core. It's a difficult thing to recognize easily but so critical for alignment and stability. And yes, it is spring time in the Rockies, come on out, the roads are safe, I finally got the tail light fixed.

Later all,

Comment

Working...
                                X