Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increasing fitness - progression affected by MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing fitness - progression affected by MS?

Hi All, I'm wondering if others have experienced difficulties increasing their fitness levels, if its because of my MS or maybe I should be looking for another cause. My diagnosis only came a year ago, I'm pretty stable at the moment and in most respects doing great. I'm struggling though to get my fitness back anywhere near what it was 3 years ago. I slog 3-4 days a week (don't think I can justify calling it a run), walk 2 days a week and horseback ride 4-5 days a week. I just don't seem to be able to increase my workouts either in intensity or duration. I can go at a moderate pace for 40 min and that is it. Its like the tank is empty after that.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on how to step it up without incapacitating myself?

Wow, that's a lot of exercise. No wonder your tank runs dry. Exercise can help, but it can also run you down. And in the heat of summer I'm surprised you're doing so much.

I love horseback riding for helping with MS symptoms and I'm far less able bodied than you. In fact, I blogged about horse therapy recently (www.themswire.com). But I found that in the summer the safety helmet and long pants made me too warm to ride.

Since you were only diagnosed a year ago you may not yet realize just how much heat can impact your ability to walk and your fatigue level.

So, I'd suggest pacing yourself rather than trying to increase what you do. Wear a cooling vest or neck bandanna when you exercise, even when you're in air conditioning. Substitute swimming for your most tiring exercise.

I hope this helps. I expect that others will have their own suggestions.
    Last edited by The MS Wire; 07-19-2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Hscott72- I agree with anchorman, you need to pace yourself rather than increase. This might mean shortening the Amt of time you do a particular activity but adding a different type of activity the same day. I made incredible strides in my strength and ability to perform exercise several years ago when I utilized HIIT type cardio philosophy. My gym had an elliptical machine that had a program which rotated different muscles every minute. (Eg, Legs fwd, arms push while legs rest on side, legs backward, arms pull, combo of move mts. )I was able to work up from an endurance for 5 min exercise to over 30 min. Because I was getting a minute of recovery on one muscle group while I was using another. My current gym doesn't have this machine, so I improvise. Also, you might find dr terry whals protcal on electric muscle stimulation something of interest. Many non ms athletes use this to help recover from exercise routines and to build strength. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Suebee. I'll give that a try as its something I've not done.

I know to some it may seem like a good deal of exercise to many but my goal is to at least be able to go for a day hike in the mountains again. That is something that used to be a 'walk in the park'

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorman View Post
          Wow, that's a lot of exercise. No wonder your tank runs dry. Exercise can help, but it can also run you down. And in the heat of summer I'm surprised you're doing so much.

I love horseback riding for helping with MS symptoms and I'm far less able bodied than you. In fact, I blogged about horse therapy recently (www.themswire.com). But I found that in the summer the safety helmet and long pants made me too warm to ride.

Since you were only diagnosed a year ago you may not yet realize just how much heat can impact your ability to walk and your fatigue level.

So, I'd suggest pacing yourself rather than trying to increase what you do. Wear a cooling vest or neck bandanna when you exercise, even when you're in air conditioning. Substitute swimming for your most tiring exercise.

I hope this helps. I expect that others will have their own suggestions.
          I totally agree with you, Anchorman. Despite a therapist I met in the last years insisted on increasing train efforts, I notice that overdo is not a great investment: IMHO, when you 'find' your limit (after small increases), try to maintain your performance, try to regain it if you slip down, at most, but don't exceed. I'm talking about my long run MS (25 years, in november, SP since 2005). Have good luck!
          Last edited by paolo.bert@yahoo.it; 07-31-2016, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Hey Hscott, year over year I don't generally see much if any increase in my overall fitness, however throughout a given season I do see a nice increase. Maybe I could modify my winter routines and change that somewhat but at the age of 66, I guess I just enjoy the down time too much to really care.

What I do notice though is that with targeted training I am able to improve an aspect of fitness like strength, endurance or intensity in the year over year sense but for some reason, overall fitness doesn't necessarily seem to follow.

Comment

I find it slow progress to increase fitness, as attempts to break through a plateau is usually met with ms hangover aka severe fatigue the next day. Need way more rest and recovery, making typically training programs hard to keep up. Used to compete, have had to learn to to let that go and be grateful can still be active in cycling, horseback riding, and kayaking. Stay active for sure, just be forgiving if you can't keep up with old self.
              Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

Originally posted by cl3me View Post
                I find it slow progress to increase fitness, as attempts to break through a plateau is usually met with ms hangover aka severe fatigue the next day. Need way more rest and recovery, making typically training programs hard to keep up. Used to compete, have had to learn to to let that go and be grateful can still be active in cycling, horseback riding, and kayaking. Stay active for sure, just be forgiving if you can't keep up with old self.
                I could not agree more. Rest and recovery are more difficult with MS.

Comment

Working...
                X