Best 28 Toilet Tips for MSers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 28 Toilet Tips for MSers

Why are toilet tips so important to those with multiple sclerosis? Frustratingly, bathroom issues and MS often go hand-in-hand, and if you plan to stay active with this disease, odds are you are going to have to deal at some point with potty problems, from gotta-go-NOW urgency to why-the-hell-can’t-I-go constipation.

ActiveMSers has just finished compiling 28 rock-solid (oh, terrible pun, I know) toilet tips to better cope with MS. What's your favorite?

http://activemsers.org/tipstricks/toilettips.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Wow, that's a lot of information about problems with MSers plumbing. Incidentally, I am recovering from a urinary tract infection which I most certainly contracted because of my necessity to self cathterize. In my case, the nerves controlling the bladder muscles are severed so it is a permanant part of my life now.

At any rate, good summary of problems and tips for MSers. On a side note, I think Crapper probably thought he was making a great advance in technology. Too bad his good name has been defiled like it has.
    Last edited by Cvfactor; 06-28-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

"Rock solid"? Oh please Dave...

Good tips, all. We are so different, however, so not every tip works precisely for everyone.

ETA: I meant to add you can try all the tips to see what might work for you! Me, I keep a hand-held Yahtzee game in the bathroom. Patience is a virtue!
      Last edited by Sparky10; 06-30-2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

So true, Sparky! Heck, if any of these tips help even just a little I figure it's a bonus. I would call it a crapshoot, but let's not go there. I've already used up my bad pun quota for the month. Oh wait, it's July!

Incidentally I usually finish off a game of Risk or Monopoly when I'm in the bathroom. After reading Moby Dick.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Great informations Dave !

I know now why I have to go to the restroom every time I go to Home Depot, Thanks to Mariko Aoki phenomenon!

Alain

Comment

Actually, Can Do MS is doing a webinar on this topic July 9 at 8 pm Eastern. I'm sure they'll have other advice on this topic that I haven't touched on. Register below.

https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/s/regist...d=85kriucwlwfx
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Who does number two work for?

Comment

Just thinking about wandering around in a bookstore also works! Mariko Aoki effect by proxy?
                (Looking at books online at Amazon doesn't count.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Paul View Post
                  Who does number two work for?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-YVt4gfquA
                  HaHa. I love that movie.
                  Last edited by Cvfactor; 07-04-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Good info, Dave. I often carry a plastic container with a good lid especially around the house since the toilet can be far depending on where I am. I wear skirts and dresses in the summer with nothing else so much freer access. I don't drink anywhere near the recommendation. I would float away. I find there is so much water in all the fruit and veg I consume that I need to drink very little to be hydrated.

Just passing on my experience.

Teena Marie

Comment

You guys so crack me up. And Teena Marie, just a reminder not to also have a bottle of lemonade in a similar container, or you'll have a moment appropriate for an Austin Powers gag.

To Pee or Not To Pee is tomorrow, FYI.
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

Some days, it's hesitancy, some days it's urgency. Oh, brother! I know where every possible loo is in seven counties around my place!

As for solid stuff, I gotta go at the same time every morning. I just don't get the sensation of "needing to go" any more. I usually get results. I told my acupuncturist this, and she said, "well, that's not even satisfying, now, is it?" Nope...works for me, though.
                        There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate gear and clothing.

Comment

Another idea to add...

...building on Dave's rock solid list of ideas, if I could drop another idea into the collective toilet of ideas here...though I should state that only those 21 and over should continue reading

While bowel movements for me at sea level are never easy and always require some degree of assistance, this problem becomes even worse at high altitude i.e. they stop. After a few days it becomes uncomfortable/painful.

In preparing for a recent high altitude hike...went to see a doctor who specializes in all things #2 to see if he had any ideas (beyond glycerin type things), and he suggested something called "Dulcolax" an over the counter (at least in the US) product which can be taken in either suppository or tablet form.

I experimented with the tablet form before departing - and it had some benefit. Take the recommended 2 pill dose every day and it does provide some benefit but can make things, well, very liquid. But every other day it seemed to have some benefit without the side effect. So, elected to take it with me...but only use if things got backed up more than desired.

So...went to high altitude (8 day hike up Kilimanjaro). I was actually able to keep things flowing well the first few days....but by day 5 things had stopped and were getting painful so took the recommended dose one night at bedtime. Strictly between anonymous over 21 friends reading this post sharing the same plight....I do need to disclose that that Dulcolax did cause a very fast moving exit to occur early the next morning as I was getting up to watch the sunrise....so fast that I could not get outside in time to the nearest temporary facility (my tent had been placed very close to such facility just in case of need) requiring the use of the very handy open floor in the equipment compartment within said tent (said tent thankfully was occupied only by myself and my patient/loving/tolerant wife). I will leave the story of how this accident got cleaned up for another time.....

The moral of the story is...this stuff did work...and honestly on balance the need for a bowel movement at that point in time outweighed the accident it caused (though my wife may disagree with me on this conclusion).

Since returning to sea level - have been experimenting with the product some more by varying the dosage (# of pills, partial pills, frequency) etc.. and now have a dosage which I can use safely on a daily basis without the side effect which is proving to be helpful. So, recommend this product be tried....start with half a pill every other day and slowly build up to 2 pills every day to see what works for you. Some doctors may of course that such a product should not be used on such a regular basis....so make your own decision there and choose which evil you want to live with

Comment

Working...
                          X