X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typo on your name.

Apologies.

Comment

• Congratulations Beth, I cannot imagine how you did it in that heat. You continue to amaze and inspire.

Welcome back Ellie and congrats on your marathon and Bike MS century. Good luck with your triathlon training too, sounds like you need to get in touch with Beth. There are more of you guys out there doing things like that with MS than you might think.

Good luck in Cape Breton Teena Marie, I’m guessing it will be an especially welcome break this year. And thanks for the vibes TM and the well wishes Marina and for the Hinie Ho Veronica. Your support helps get me through.

Colorado MS 150 2015
      Did it, one more time, no century this year but did climb the Horsetooth hills both days and didn’t feel like it was all that tough either, well, maybe a little tough the second day. Of course, I had the Yoga Chick and the Bullet there to “encourage me”, i.e.; kick my butt up the hills.

The roads on this years ride were nearly flawless, something that makes a world of difference in speed and comfort on a bike. For the most part the rest stops were pretty good too although there were a few that were essentially inaccessible to an MSer who couldn’t walk well, including the first day lunch stop. Fortunately I had the girls there to lend a shoulder, grab some food or fill my water bottles for me. Having said that though, I saw more “I Ride With MS” jerseys on this years ride than I ever have before.

It was one of those rides when just about everything went well. Tail winds both days, just strong enough to ease the pedaling to a comfortable level while increasing the overall speed a tiny bit. Temperatures were just right, mid to low 80’s, until the last hour or two when things warmed up some. The route itself was shorter than previous years, 77 miles on the way to Ft. Collins but only 65 on the way back. The Yoga Chick and I were grateful for the shorter return but the Bullet felt cheated to the extent she was considering asking for her entry fee back – until the endorphins kicked in anyway. The ascent wasn’t quite as much either, 2,900 on the way up and 2,700 on the way back, overall a comfortably pleasant ride.

Pic. L to R, The Yoga Chick, Me, and The Bullet sporting our post ride endorphin high.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Congratulations Larry. I got an endorphin high reading this, and looking at the three of you beaming! What would we do without endorphins, huh? Not much, I gather.

It sounds like it was everything that a good ride should be...good hard challenges, good descents, good road conditions,helpful tailwinds.....riding and celebrating with good friends. I'm very happy for you!
        Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Wow!

People - you never cease to amaze me! What a truly astonishing bunch of athletes you are. Just. WOW.

I haven't checking in for a while, but I sure have grinned reading through your updates & stories

Veronica - being in love with the liberty that a new machine can give you is one hell of a rush! Just keep going & enjoy those highs!

Marina & Larry - Oh my god, you make me so jealous! I haven't done a bike event since the year 2000. NOW I WANNA DO ONE TOO!

Steph - looking forward to your story, too.

As for the runners - Ellie - awesome work. So inspiring, and to now enter triathlons is just another level of mental! Go you!

milesandtrials - how did it go? How did it gooo?

Teena Marie - the weather has become hot & humid here in the UK (in the 90s), and you are probably aware that we are a little 19th Century with respect to Air Con. I am envious of your swimming despite being petrified of water!

MSRunner26 - Marisol - How are you doing with your training? Did you get a cooling vest sorted?

Comment

• Teena Marie, thank you. I have been doing pretty well so far this summer. I am hoping that I don't need a vest. I am running in the morning when it is somewhat cooler. I am super proud for my Bike MS 100 mile challenge and my marathon. I need to figure out what my next big thing is. Lol

Comment

• AMFADVENTURES
              Thank you! I will try to get in contact with Beth.

Comment

• Mouse, thank you. I realize that with each new sport that I do I enter into a new level of crazy.

Comment

• Larry congrats on your ride. It sounds like you had an amazing time with good friends.
                  It sounds like I am among an amazing group of people. MS or no you men and women inspire me and even more so because of MS and the struggles dealing with it.
                  Ellie

Comment

• Hi all, it's me, Veronica, the Happy Girl.....( well, I'm 64 years old...hardly a girl anymore, but sure feeling like one these days!)

This Catrike has given me back the absolute JOY of riding again. In the past four days, I have ridden three times..... I haven't ridden that often in decades... feels so so good. Now, my speed is slowly climbing up there....I am really feeling the difference in ability with the longer cranks, that HUGE back wheel, the featherweight of the machine, and the aerodynamic position of the seating. And while I hate to malign my little Greenspeed, I also appreciate that the Cat isn't as tweeky as the Greenspeed is when sailing downhill.
                    My plan of attack to really get some good training is to get out on my little trail locally here once or twice during the week after work and just see it as if I am going to the gym. I want to just use the 11 mile trip to work on cadence and rhythm and to have some fun just "suffering" through the series of small inclines that kill the speed on the trike. Also will work on increasing my flat speed so it averages better. On the weekends, I plan to devote one day to take the hour's drive up north to the trail that the bike shop is on, and ride longer and hopefully with some of the other trikesters who are always around the shop there. I realize that I need a stronger support system with this, and while my two wheeling friends are all happy to ride with me, for training reasons, I think having this crew around will be good for my morale. I've signed on as a member of their riding group, and we have a ride planned in a few weekends also, so I will hopefully meet many more "bent riders".

I haven't yet ridden with my dear friends who almost fell over trying to go as slow as they needed to in order to stay with me last year, but am planning to do so soon as I want to see their faces when I go abit faster!

I am so hopeful that I can continue to have cycling really back in my life. Don't need the miles or speed I did from my past at all.....but not gonna limit myself to just training for my 30 mile ride in October around NYC either. Really focusing on just getting out there, enjoying the freedom, and the ENDORPHINS from challenging myself and pushing myself.... Gotten get back to earning that beer at the end!

Have a great weekend everyone...

PS: I have been really enjoying all the posts of those of you who are really rocking the miles with cycling and running.... We are such a group, aren't we?
                    Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Teena Marie, it sound like you are on a great path. You know what you want to accomplish and you have the equipment. I can not wait to hear about you journey.

Comment

• Good Day All

On Friday I went for my first long run for marathon training. I ran 8 miles. Saturday I went to a MLB game and a party and watched fireworks. Sunday I went to see Peter Pan 360 with the family. Today I went for a run. I had to cut it short due to heat and my legs feeling weak only ran 2.75 miles. This afternoon not wanting MS to have the upper hand I took the kids to the pool and I swam 1250 meters.

Comment

• Sorry, Veronica this message was supposed to be to you. Oops!

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                          Teena Marie, it sound like you are on a great path. You know what you want to accomplish and you have the equipment. I can not wait to hear about you journey.

Comment

• Hi all,

Arrived in Cape Breton a week now. Still had work to complete so haven't really settled. It's been tough getting around my lumpy house. My nervous system has to remember how to manoeuver. Getting to the beach is good and I've had some great swims. It feels amazing to be in the ocean again. Today was a good training day with fairly good swells. I worked with and against the current to get a good feel of rough water. A good workout. I was able to feel one with the water. Some good walking after.

And now it's time to rest my body.

Keep up the amazing work, all.

Teena Marie

Comment

• All these stories everyone has posted are great and encouraging. I am 6 weeks post surgery and went in the pool. I have lost quite a bit of endurance , so I started really slow and tried to switch muscle groups used each lap. I used a kick board to isolate legs and kicked. I did breast stroke with modified leg movement on return lap. It felt great to feel my muscles stretching in strokes. In between Some laps I did different exercises in pool. I know it's not as impressive as some of you all, but it's a start! Yay!

Comment

• I didn't use all 33 pool exercises I found here :

,http://www.shape.com/fitness/workout...ired/slide/all
                                but used a few and it was a good way to recover from lap and change muscle groups at same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X