Hockey Season back- some help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey Season back- some help...

Hey All, ice hockey is back- I have a team to play on consisting mostly of older and easy going guys, so hopefully it’s not going to be too difficult or competitive for an MSer to mix in. However, I really need some help as to what I should be doing to make my experience one I can enjoy.
    1. Overheating is always an issue- steps to take, before and during the game?
    2. Take aspirin or not
    3. What kind of training in the gym should I have been doing to prepare- cardio or weights?

My neuro (who is not athletic) said I could definitely improve muscular endurance, but was unclear as to workout plans, dealing with overheating, etc

Anyways, excited yet nervous in Canada! Anyone have any advice?

Originally posted by GongShow View Post
    Hey All, ice hockey is back- I have a team to play on consisting mostly of older and easy going guys, so hopefully it’s not going to be too difficult or competitive for an MSer to mix in. However, I really need some help as to what I should be doing to make my experience one I can enjoy.
    1. Overheating is always an issue- steps to take, before and during the game?
    2. Take aspirin or not
    3. What kind of training in the gym should I have been doing to prepare- cardio or weights?

My neuro (who is not athletic) said I could definitely improve muscular endurance, but was unclear as to workout plans, dealing with overheating, etc

Anyways, excited yet nervous in Canada! Anyone have any advice?
    Just thinking out loud, so to speak, you could try pre-cooling although I don't know how long the effects might last, and drink ice cold water during the game, and of course there are a multitude of coolong vests. I can't imagine a problem with taking an aspirin before either.

Although I don't and never have played, I became enamored with hockey just last year from watching the playoffs. It strikes me that along with weights and a good cardiovascular exercise program, plyometrics might be perfect for such a fast moving sport.
    Good luck,

Comment

It's been a few years since I played hockey/ringette but still go skating and don't find a problem with overheating, I just make sure to wear a jacket with venting for outdoor skating, and wear layers for indoor skating.

As mentioned, plyometrics or a cross fit program would be useful work out for hockey if typical weight program does not appeal, and I think it fits better with the bursts of intensity needed for hockey, and any cardio done in intervals (treadmill, elliptical, skating) to simulate the high intensity of a shift.

Game time: keep shifts short, drink lots to stay cool and even throw some on back of neck between shifts, wear as little as possible under your gear to stay cool/vented,

I miss hockey/ringette but my vision issues became a problem and was colliding with other players too frequently. Hope it works out for you!
      Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

Working...
      X