No announcement yet.

Holistic Approach to Managing Symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holistic Approach to Managing Symptoms?

Hi everyone!

I'm curious about the lifestyle and nutritional changes you've made that you believe help prevent or manage your symptoms. For example, is there a certain food or product you swear by? Do chiropractors or acupuncturists help? Do you have certain dietary preferences?

I'm newly diagnosed and have maintained a very active lifestyle despite the situation. I'm now interested in learning more about how other ActiveMSers manage and prevent their symptoms and attacks.

I am currently on a disease-modifying drug, and will remain so until a doctor or MRI says to change, but I'm interested in the lifestyle changes that can assist in addition to my medicine. I always say that I don't mind my shot because it's the only scientifically-proven thing I can do to slow the progression, so let's talk about what you've discovered works for YOU, with or without scientific backing.

Thanks!

Kristen

Good question Kristen. Here's my short list.

Reduce stress, there are methods for doing this. There are a number of people and a few situations in my life that I have had to learn to control and I do think it's helped.

Follow a generally healthy diet. Stay away from saturated and hydrogenated fats. Keep to low fat meats and dairy products, turkey and chicken breast, sirloin, more fish. Eat more fruits and vegetables. I have recently found that I feel better without coffee.

Exercise. I know you already do this, personally, I don't shy away from overdoing it sometimes. I Stretch regularly and vary my exercise routine occasionally too. In the heat of the season, I use soy protein to boost my protein intake. I love my yoga sessions.

Get plenty of rest, you know how important this is for an athlete, experts say the same holds for MSers. IMHO, the value of an afternoon nap is grossly underestimated.

Vitamin D is the only supplement I use. For pain I tend to use aspirin, occasionally switching to ibuprofen if pain persists over too many consecutive days.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Kristen,

Welcome. Good for you for looking at doing all you can to help your MS. I agree with all of what AMF described. I have found an extremely low saturated fat diet, meditation, exercise, rest and keeping my vitamin D levels at high normal to be beneficial. The following site gives excellent, science based information. There is also a book-all researched by a doctor in Australia with MS.

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

Feel free to contact me should ever you have more questions.

Keep up the good work.

Teena Marie

Comment

Kristen, like AMF I take Vitamin D, but no other supplements or vitamins. I stretch and exercise daily, making sure I get into my cardio zone for 30 minutes or longer.

And I eat healthily, focusing on eating small portions (a typical restaurant meal for one usually provides me with two meals, sometimes as many as four). I also eat a wide variety of cuisines; I exclude no food or drink. That said, as a rule I avoid virtually all fast food and cheap booze.

I probably should spend more time meditating. And pondering spending more time meditating doesn't really count.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Hi Kristen. I have made some very fundamental changes in my diet and exercise. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and a lot less fats. Also, like Dave I eat smaller portions and very rarely eat fast food. I try to exercise at least five days a week. I was walking but MS has reared its ugly head with regard to that. Within seven months of making these changes I went from over 250 lbs to under 170 lbs. This mornings weigh in I was 163.8 lbs my BP is now at an ideal place. In many ways I feel that I have stemmed the tide, in other ways... not so much

Comment

Hi Kristen, I also agree with what everyone wrote. Just want to add that the lifestyle change that I feel has helped me the most, is to make sure that I find a way to Play and have Fun.... For me that is mainly with sports, but has also been with just making sure I have people in my life who don't take themselves too seriously and who I can be silly with. GREAT stress buster.....
            Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Holistic Approach of Managing Symptoms...

Hi Kristen,
              I was diagnosed in late November, 2012, kind of a ‘newbie’ also, but we studied hard the first year to learn as much as possible. For me, first, it’s my shot, everyday. My diet is also a biggie. Basic Weight Watchers without ANY chemical diet foods. Anything in moderation, good whole foods, veggies, fruits, proteins, and fats. Take your weight; divide it in half, that’s how many grams of protein & ounces of water per day. Exercise is another big key: I’ve been a walker for years and fought for 514 miles in 2013. When it’s too hot for me to walk, I jump in the lake and swim. Just. keep. going….. I use supplements: D, of course and also calcium is a good one for me in the evening for spasticity, instead of a muscle relaxer that snows me over for the next day. Finding my chiropractor-neurologist was vital along with my neurologist. Rest well. Evaluate your stress. Can you do without whatever is causing it? Peace of mind. Surround yourself with happy!
              I love reading what everyone has posted, the knowledge is so valuable. I didn’t know about ActiveMSers right when I was first diagnosed and as so glad to know it now. Thanks, Dave, for all you do!

Comment

Hi Kristen! I love my chiropractor. He determined why I limp, and why one leg is shorter than the other. It is a lifetime of maintenance to keep it from getting worse.

I now walk much better!

Comment

Working...
                X