Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Impact of yoga on the quality of life of patients with MS

Impact of yoga on the quality of life of patients with multiple sclerosis

I. Truschel, J.C. Ongagna, M.-R. Metzger, C. Zaenker, J. De Seze (Colmar, FR)

Background: The quality of life of people affected by multiple sclerosis (MS) is reduced in comparison with that of the general population. For these patients, physical exercise is considered beneficial on many levels.
    The purpose of this study was to measure the impact of the practice of yoga, as a physical exercise, on the quality of life in MS patients.

Methods: Twenty-nine MS patients (20 women and 9 men) aged 18 to 55 years, with an Expended Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score less than 6, participated in a yoga program supervised by a nurse specialized in a yoga teaching. Fifteen yoga sessions were conducted by all patients at the rate of one session per week. Quality of life was measured using the SEP-59 questionnaire which was completed by patients without any assistance from the nurse in charge of the course. The results before and after the end of the program were compared by a chi2 test.

Results: All MS patients completed the program. The SEP-59 found an overall well-being significantly better after the program compared to before. Vitality, social functioning and emotional limitation scores were higher after the yoga program. The mental and physical health were better perceived by patients after the program (mental score: pre = 53.5+/-6.9, post = 58.2+/-6.8) (p = 0,02). Furthermore, physical function and physical pain scores were much higher before yoga practice and decreased after the program.

Conclusion: The practice of yoga seems to improve quality of life of MS patients. It was observed that quite often, patients stop practicing any kind of physical activity for fear of aggravating their health condition. This activity may be proposed also in patient with a ligh disability level may help patient to progressively re-introduce physical activity.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I can certainly attribute improved quality of life to practicing yoga even though I don't do a ton of poses. Before my dx I tried "hot yoga" and needless to say that didn't really work out for me.

...\O/...
    Liv__Well
    ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

I find that yoga does help greatly in improving mobility. It also helps you gauge how much the MS is affecting you at any given time. Some days it is easy others almost impossible.
      I think it helps with balance, or at least forces you to try.

Comment

Working...
      X