Using a single cane around home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a single cane around home

I don't want to to blow this too out of proportion, but I've started using a single cane around the house instead of a single forearm crutch. At night and after workouts I still need the extra support of a pair of forearm crutches or my walker. But a single cane is still a big step. A bigger step? Using it regularly and not falling. So let's see how that pans out!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Yay!! Now you can catch up to me! j/k!! I'm very happy for your progress. It took me about 2 months to work up the courage to use just the cane when out and about. If I'm going to a crowded place or going to be walking a long distance I still use the crutches though, just for extra support and because people think the cane is an invitation to knock me over. Getting used to the uncertain support of the cane is a learning curve, especially after the crutches, so it is best to use it in the house first then slowly broaden your area of use. Good luck!

Comment

You are right, I definitely have to be patient. The stability factor when moving from a single forearm crutch to a cane is vastly different. So far so good. But it is easy to fall back and be lazy. Must not do that!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Way to go guys. I have a bit of a limp, but haven't needed the cane or crutch. Symptomatic improvement is always a great thing.

Comment

Working...
        X