Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprising coping strategies in multiple sclerosis: where do you fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you're doing better emotionally.

I've had my faith long before any adversity, so it made it easy to deal with when it came / comes. Physically, I go a couple of hours, then sleep for a couple of hours - from 5am to 5pm, then I watch an old happy movie and get some sleep.

My Lord, my wife, and my goats, keep me grounded. *(Had to replace the chair on my work wheelchair because the goats kept eating it!)
    Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
    Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
    Active in amateur radio
    Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
    M.S. since 2000

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
      When I was first diagnosed I went with denial and anger!

Now that I have accepted things and been diagnosed for a few years (7, yay?) I would say that I am using humor a lot more. Physical activity helps me beat stress too. In general keeping the stress at bay is what I need most of. Reading, playing with the cats, meditating, etc are all things that help.
      Mirinad, what physical activity helps you beat stress without wearing you out?

Comment

Originally posted by GoatHerder View Post
        My goats really keep me sane, and the goat berries are wonderful in the garden. My bride put up dozens of tomatoes, pickles, squash, and more during our fall canning. I'm moving a tiny bit slower since last year, but not from the M.S. I got colon cancer. Caught early, but lost most if it. Colostomy to take care of now but it's been a non issue. Just taking life as it comes!
        Wow, all of that sounds so amazing! We hope to start a vegetable garden soon. Someday, I'd like to live on a farm and learn how to take care of the animals, etc.

Are you cancer free now?

Comment

Originally posted by funnybutnotfunny View Post
          Wow, all of that sounds so amazing! We hope to start a vegetable garden soon. Someday, I'd like to live on a farm and learn how to take care of the animals, etc.

Are you cancer free now?
          Yes I am cancer free now, thanks. I only had 1 cancerous polyp , but ended up having most of my colon removed because of surgical complications. 3 surgeries in 2 weeks. I coded 3 times during the third, then ended up in a coma.

The most frightening time in my life, ever, was not the M.S. or the surgeries, but looking at my wife of 35 years after the 3rd surgery and not knowing who she was, or who I was. It was 3 days before I got my senses back. The brain is a strange and wonderful organ, with mysteries we still don't understand...

Gardening is very rewarding, and eating what you have grown with your own toil, just tastes that much better! It was my wife's idea when I could no longer work, to buy a small farm. I may be in a wheelchair from M.S. and poo sideways into a plastic bag from the cancer, but have never been happier on our little patch of land. I highly recommend it!
          Last edited by GoatHerder; 09-29-2016, 07:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
          Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
          Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
          Active in amateur radio
          Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
          M.S. since 2000

Comment

Suebee, what do you think you'll plant this Fall? I've been trying to find more perennials in the Lowe's garden department to no avail. I'm creating a garden bed in our front yard. I got some stones to place around each side of the front of the house.

I want mostly perennials but then I'll plant annuals from time to time. Do you have ideas for perennials? I'm in Los Angeles. That's about a 8 zones I think.

Comment

Originally posted by GoatHerder View Post
              Yes I am cancer free now, thanks. I only had 1 cancerous polyp , but ended up having most of my colon removed because of surgical complications. 3 surgeries in 2 weeks. I coded 3 times during the third, then ended up in a coma.

The most frightening time in my life, ever, was not the M.S. or the surgeries, but looking at my wife of 35 years after the 3rd surgery and not knowing who she was, or who I was. It was 3 days before I got my senses back. The brain is a strange and wonderful organ, with mysteries we still don't understand...

Gardening is very rewarding, and eating what you have grown with your own toil, just tastes that much better! It was my wife's idea when I could no longer work, to buy a small farm. I may be in a wheelchair from M.S. and poo sideways into a plastic bag from the cancer, but have never been happier on our little patch of land. I highly recommend it!
              That's quite a testimony you got there brother! The Lord is so faithful. Wow 35 years? That's amazing. Marriage is great isn't it? Married for 4 years myself.

Comment

Originally posted by funnybutnotfunny View Post
                Mirinad, what physical activity helps you beat stress without wearing you out?
                Well most of my favorites are cardio and likely will wear you out.

But I find yoga to be very calming and if you are doing the gentle yoga (as opposed to some of the advanced classes or the faster moving "flow" classes).

Comment

Working...
                X