Best boots/shoes for winter weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best boots/shoes for winter weather

I love all your threads; the trekking poles postings have given me so many options to consider, so thanks to you all.
    Although a New England native, I have just returned after a decade in Texas and feel uncertain as to what boots or shoes are best for general walking in snow/slush/freezing rain.
    I have usually used athletic shoes and Ecco brand, but know I need something else for New England winters. I'm not looking for footwear for outdoor winter sports, but for walking to/from home, car, office.
    Thanks for all replies!

aaramoeza, I live in NM so I'm probably the wrong one to ask. I'd personally look for shoes that are lightweight and waterproof, ideally with a good bit of traction.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

aaramoeza,
      I'd suggest you check out zappos.com. I find they are the best place to shoe shop. Good product info, good photos, lots of brands/styles, etc. Many give the weight of the shoe. I'd check out Keen's and Merrell's as I have a few of each brand and have found them comfortable, light weight and giving me the support I need and they look stylist. Make sure you read the reviews as they have really helped me in making a decision. And bonus is that Zappos has free shipping both ways, so if you get them and they don't work for you, no loss....just a wait for them to credit back to you, which I have found to be a reasonable amount of time. You could also check out Yak Tracks ( I think I am spelling that wrong) These are like chains for your shoes that you slip on the bottoms...useful if you are really gonna be on an icy surface, or just get nervous. I can't personally attest to these as my feet are small and I haven't found the right size, but friends of mine have said that they are very helpful if you just keep them in your car, and put them on when leaving the vehicle. I won't want to drive with them attached to my shoe... Hope this helps! And no, I don't work for Zappos!
      Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Best shoes/boots

Veronica and Dave,

Thanks so much for your terrific suggestions. Now off I go (virtually) to shop!

BTW, I love this site, so thanks, Dave.

Ann (aaramoezay - need to change my username).

Comment

Sorel's are also excellent. I've had both pre and post diagnosis.

Keep us posted.

Teena Marie

Comment

Working...
          X