Bike MS 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck, Larry!

I am sure you will do great on the ride. I hope they have successfully rerouted the ride to avoid the fire and smoke. You are doing incredibly well this year.

Pell

Comment

2012 Ms 150

The single most outstanding feature of this years MS 150 was the sheer number of MSers wearing the “I Ride with MS” jersey. There must have been at least 50, maybe triple the number I saw last year. What’s more was the surprising strength every one of them showed.

There were 8 or 10 MSers who just blew by me, strong, solid riders. One girl, who I think I saw struggling a little a couple of years ago, was pulling a draft line along at a good clip … into a head wind! But perhaps the most impressive MSers were the ones plugging along at a slow and steady pace, a couple of them apparently on their own. That kind of determination I find incredibly inspirational.

The force among MS riders was palpable this year. It’s no wonder the neuros in this area have jumped on the Exercise for MS bandwagon, it would be a serious form of denial if they didn’t. And I don’t doubt some of the new treatment approaches are working better too. The R&D is, and has been, paying dividends lately.

My buddy, a Hot Blond Chick (her words), and I tore up the first days 68 miles in 4:07 at an average speed of 16.7 MPH. Better than ever for me. But of course we didn’t have the Horse Tooth hills to contend with this year because of the rerouting due to the recent wild fires.

We took it a little easier on the second days 64 miles and still did it in 4:02 with an average speed of 15.8. I suppose you could make an argument for the free beer as the cause of the second days slightly slower pace, but personally I think it had more to do with the 102 degree heat. In fact, I think I’ll start referring to the last 15 miles on the second day ride as the “Hotter Than Hell 15” because it was undoubtedly hotter than 102 degrees when you take into account the heat radiating off that pavement.

It was another great ride.

Got 203 miles in 13 hours with 5,700 feet of ascent for the week and I’ve passed the 2,000 mile mark for the year.

Larry

Comment

Pedal to the Point

Hi,
        I read your tips for keeping cool while biking-thanks!
        Last year I finished a Bike MS at the end of June and didn't have too many problems. This year I decided on the Pedal to the Point in Ohio (with the hottest spring/summer so far), and have been having trouble keeping cool.
        Thanks for the inspiration to keep on training.
        Mary

Comment

Hi Mary,
          I hope those cooling tips helped a bit. You’ve reminded me that I need to update that a little.

This years heat is unusual and dangerously brutal. On several occasions I’ve changed my training rides just to stay closer to air-conditioned civilization so I could duck in for a cold drink and 15 or 20 minutes of recovery. On one particular 105 degree day we ducked in somewhere about every 45 minutes. I even had an evaporative cooling shirt, which helped a lot but needed to be recharged frequently, still I would not knowingly go out in that kind of heat again.

Anyway, cold liquids to cool the core are an immense help. Knowing where to find a little AC when you need it can be important too. And if you can find an evaporative cooling jersey, like the Izi Pro Cooling shirt, you can carry it dry (it doesn’t weigh much) and charge it if/when you need it.

Congrats on last years ride and good luck on your up coming ride. I look forward to hearing how things are going.

Larry

Comment

Mary - my best tip to cool down on the bike has been to put ice cubes in my sports bra (sorry guys!). It helps me so much!

Larry awesome job on your rides, you're inspiring

Comment

7/9/2012

My training for the Triple is finished. I got 10 hours, 133 miles and almost 8,000 ft last week. If my training has been light on climbing, well that’s the way it goes. I honestly don’t think I could have done much more. The ride is Sunday, July 15th.

Taking it easy this week, just riding in the rain (3 of the last 4 days) and trying to stay healthy. As someone on the bike trail said today, “at least it’s cooled down”.

Hope everyone is staying cool,
              Larry

Pell, are you coming out?

Comment

Hello Larry,

I wish you a great ride Sunday and I thank you for letting us know about all your hard training.
                Really enjoyed it.
                I am riding in France right now (not on the tour!!) and will do couple ms150 this fall .
                Lets us know when you do the next one.

Thanks
                Alain

Comment

Originally posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
                  My training for the Triple is finished. I got 10 hours, 133 miles and almost 8,000 ft last week. If my training has been light on climbing, well that’s the way it goes. I honestly don’t think I could have done much more. The ride is Sunday, July 15th.

Taking it easy this week, just riding in the rain (3 of the last 4 days) and trying to stay healthy. As someone on the bike trail said today, “at least it’s cooled down”.

Hope everyone is staying cool,
                  Larry

Pell, are you coming out?
                  Thanks for Sharing your adventures, I completed my 2nd Bike MS event 85 miles, May 19th after being diagnosed with MS on June 14, 2011.

I am now dealing with heat issues, trying to ride during the evening hours when it is cooler.

My next ride is a 75 in September in Delaware with a new team, then the following week another 75 with my team here in New Jersey.

Good Luck with your ride!

Comment

Larry-
                    No, we aren't heading West this summer. Our friends are out there now riding in your area. Have a great ride this weekend. You are definitely well prepared this year.
                    So, you will have to head East next spring. We expect you for the Horsey Hundred.

Pell

Comment

Thanks guys,

I've got a little work to do on the bike in the morning then I'm off. No reason to worry too much, after all, half of this ride is downhill!! I'll let you know how it went when I return.

Larry
                      Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 07-14-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

The Triple Bypass 2012.

Or, more accurately the Double Bypass, I got 79.15 miles and 6,166 feet of ascent in 6:56 saddle time. I made it over Vail Pass and Loveland Pass but about half way up Loveland, my legs were done. I was down to 4 mph and having to stop for a minute or so every mile and a half. Fortunately, the next 30 miles were downhill. The downhill still took an effort and in the end, it wasn’t enough to restore my legs.

That was the first time I’d been all the way up the west side of Vail Pass. Overall it’s not too bad but there is one short section that is steeper than anything I’ve done before. If I were smarter, I would have walked it, oh well.

Next up, the Copper Triangle, 80 miles, 6,500 feet. It includes Vail Pass and a couple of minor climbs. Although I think I'll be able to complete this one, I have come to the realization that I am NOT, and never will be, a climber.

BTW, I was toast last night but I feel great today!

AMF

Comment

Bellyak

Hi Larry,

I am really impressed with your stamina and your progress. I was wondering if you have heard of Bellyaking. It is supposed to be like Kayaking but done on your belly. Since I know how you love videos, I found one that I thought you would enjoy. Stella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SbbTyeRkueY

Comment

Larry- Incredible riding. I really can't imagine that much climbing. Actually, I don't think I have much interest in that much climbing. BUT- You have done an amazing job of training and executing your plan.
                            I can't wait for your final report.
                            I think my biggest effort for the summer may be the Clarksville Tn century - the flattest, fasted century.

Pell

Comment

Hey Stella,
                              The Bellyaking looks cool and cooling, as in cooling down from the heat which seems to have been turned back up here lately, do they do that over there? It makes more sense than trying to ride a bike in this heat.

Thanks Pell, I’m with you, I have lost all interest in climbing. I wanted to try it this year to see what effect that kind of exercise had on my MS. So far, I haven’t seen anywhere near the positive effect that I’ve seen in years past. I read an article not too long ago, which claimed that long duration endurance exercise, like I’ve been doing this year, causes the body to produce more cortisol, one of the psychological stress hormones, while short high intensity interval exercises induce the body to produce more HGH. It could be something like that I suppose, or it could just be age catching up with MS. At any rate, next year I’m going back to emphasizing the high intensity interval workouts more.

Got a reminder to never ever Ever EVER get on a bike without a helmet today. Went down in a turn, smacked my head on the pavement and am now in the market for a new helmet, but my head’s okay.

Got to try to keep the rubber side down,

Comment

Bike MS

It is great to hear about your biking adventures. I am training for my first MS Bike ride, scheduled for Sept in Oklahoma. I hope it cools down by then!

Comment

Working...
                                X