New blog chronicling day-by-day Northwestern transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New blog chronicling day-by-day Northwestern transplant

A fellow active MSer and avid runner, who was diagnosed in 2008, shot me an e-mail with a link to his new blog, which is chronicling his transplant at Northwestern with Dr. Burt. The 39-year-old father of three started the process Sept 6 and just complete stem cell harvesting. He gets admitted Oct. 12 with a scheduled 10/17 transplant day. Best of luck!

http://eo3stem.blog.com/

His full background story (insurance surprisingly approved him in weeks) is here:
    http://eo3stem.blog.com/my_story/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

"Mike" (sounds better than anonymous active MSer) entered the hospital a few days ago and is now going through his chemo regimen. ATG, the "rabbit" chemo and the one that often causes the most complications, proved to once again be an issue. He is allergic, so the ATG had to be stopped and now they are looking at other ways to fully deplete his T cells. Mike is in good spirits all around and his blog is fairly detailed. Good luck, Mike, er, Anon!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Mike was transplanted today and the tough part is coming in the next few days to week if his experience is anything like mine. Burt's chemo regimen is a bit easier than the HALT-MS protocol, though, and he may breeze through it if things go well....
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Heard from "Mike" and here's how the post ATG reaction decision played out. He gave me permission to post the below update....

Wanted to let you know about the decision on my treatment. We are staying on the Burt protocol (cyclophosphamide chemo and high dose steroids) foregoing the ATG due to my intolerance. There was consideration to add Rituxan, which is known to suppress the B-Cells thought to be linked to MS as well and a drug Burt uses with his non-MS protocols. After considerable thought and research the risks outweighed the potential benefits. Dr. Burt thinks this is best for me based on his experience, research and understanding of me. He believes I still will get benefit from the protocol even without the ATG.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

best of luck to him, prayers his way.

Comment

"Mike" is already out of the hospital and going to soccer games to watch his kids. His continued recovery has been lightning fast! Other than the ATG issue, it couldn't have gone much smoother. Keep us updated on your progress with your blog and keep up the great work....
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
            X