ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > Gear

Old 01-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

I'm sure there are, FP, especially if you have the right tires to prevent goatheads (a common nemesis here in NM as you know). I flatted all 3 when I ventured off-road early on, but now that I have Continental Gator Skins and tubes filled with slime, I can confidently go anywhere....
Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Must clarify the "go anywhere." The trail still must be wide enough! Also, I won't get where I'm going too fast.

I've found the max speed on a straightaway when I'm cranking, at least according to those speed limit signs on the side of the road, is 16 mph. I might be able to squeak out one or two more, but that is max effort and spikes my HR quickly. Downhill I can crest 20, but I average probably closer to 9 or 10 mph on the flats. Uphill? 1-4 mph!
Old 03-16-2020, 01:46 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

A couple of questions for fellow trike riders. Has anyone added an electric assist to this bike? And are there any special transfer tricks for wheelchair users? I'm think of adding an assist so can go for longer rides....
Old 03-16-2020, 04:53 PM
MS Whisperer

Dave, you know how happy I am that you are gonna do this.....My answer to your first question..... I added a Falco 500w to my Catrike 700. Expensive, yes, but so worth it.
I worked with Utah Trikes ( remotely since I am on the East Coast) and we decided that was the best for my needs. Had them ship it to my bike shop and they installed it. Easy installation as they basically swap out the back wheel with the Falco electric wheel, attach the battery and monitor. And I have had no problems with the system.
SO happy you are gonna do this.... as Dr. Seuss has said ( out of context, but what the heck...)
“Oh, the places you’ll go”....
Old 03-20-2020, 03:41 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

I am really excited about the e-assist possibility. But even cooler: an attachment that will allow me to attach my wheelchair to the bike. That way I can bike to restaurants and brewpubs and BATHROOMS. That last fact limits me for long rides. But toting a wheelchair without electric assistance would be really challenging, and likely impossible on long hills.