Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK to Ski? Any sports not good for MSers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK to Ski? Any sports not good for MSers?

Hello - I'm waiting for an MS diagnosis and my current symptoms are primarily numbness and tingling in my arms as well as occasional night-time muscle spasticity in my right leg and arm. I have demylenation at C5, and a buzzy/electrical feeling on the back of my neck when I bend my head forward. I had a ski trip planned before all this happened and I don't have my neuro followup until after the ski trip. I also play beach volleyball where we fling ourselves around to get the ball. It seems from what I've read so far that exercise is very good for MSers but I'm just wondering if abrupt movements, such as from a fall, could be harmful to me or exacerbate my symptoms. Sorry for the long story, but does anyone have any advice for me?

Originally posted by LuckyMom View Post
    Hello - I'm waiting for an MS diagnosis and my current symptoms are primarily numbness and tingling in my arms as well as occasional night-time muscle spasticity in my right leg and arm. I have demylenation at C5, and a buzzy/electrical feeling on the back of my neck when I bend my head forward. I had a ski trip planned before all this happened and I don't have my neuro followup until after the ski trip. I also play beach volleyball where we fling ourselves around to get the ball. It seems from what I've read so far that exercise is very good for MSers but I'm just wondering if abrupt movements, such as from a fall, could be harmful to me or exacerbate my symptoms. Sorry for the long story, but does anyone have any advice for me?
    Sorry to hear about your pending dx, just know that it's not necessarilythe end of the world. I also have only read good things about exercise and MS with one caveat, People with MS might be more prone to injury while doing the things they love. IMHO, that is not an excuse not to do those things, rather it is a reason to maintain your health and strength to the best of your ability so you can do them. As they say, "use it or loose it" or, put another way, "use it or risk becoming as disfuctional as an American politician".

Best of luck

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Comment

LuckyMom, next week I'm giving snowboarding a go for the first time since the spring of 2009. Will I make it down the hill in one piece. I won't know until I try! While it definitely won't make my MS worse, I'm not so sure about my ego.

How did the ski trip go? I'm so jealous....
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Exercise is a really important part of the Taking Control Program. The recommendation is for at least 30 minutes of vigorous exercise 5 days a week, for the maximal benefit, that means any type of exercise is suitable. You can go ma'am!
          Andrea G Wolford
          http://www.standingformsers.org/

Comment

LuckyMom,

I hope you had a fantastic ski trip! (Sorry for the late reply, but I've been busy... skiing.) I love to cross country ski and have actually been Nordic skiing competitively (adaptive class) for the past two years. Nothing but good happens as a result. Sure, I fall routinely, but no worries. The workout is fantastic, the cold weather is only helpful, and the scenery tends to be absolutely beautiful. So, is it okay to ski? Without reservation, I say yes!

Comment

Hi,
              I'm skiing in Europe next week so was pleased to read people's experiences of skiing with ms.
              This is my first holiday since diagnosis in sept so I'm quite nervous but excited also!
              We've always been a really active family but I'm struggling to build my fitness since a relapse last summer which seemed to last forever.
              This time last year I was training for a marathon and now I'm struggling to run 3 miles!
              Hoping I can manage a week on the slopes!

Comment

JenBear, I'm sure you'll rip it! Where are you going? My wife and I did our one European ski (snowboard) vacation to Lech in the Arlberg region of Austria. Sublime. Very different from skiing in the Rockies Stateside. My favorite part: the food! People don't eat very well on the ski slopes here and they tend to pound the mountain all day. I really liked the laid back Euro version: ski a couple hours, eat, maybe ski some more, and then do it all again the next day.
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

And Tipper81, cross country is a ton of fun! Although one time I went when the winds were gusting 50 mph. That was the opposite of fun, but the cabin afterward was that much more pleasant! One of my good friends (another Active MSer, diagnosed in her late teens) does overnight hut trips every winter in Northern New Mexico. The solitude is beautiful she says.
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

Dave
                    We're off to La Rosiere in France - on the Italian border so we can ski to Italy for lunch - can't wait!
                    The conditions are perfect, I've just had my 3rd Tysabri and feeling good and ready to hit the slopes!

Comment

Hey, I just thought I'd report back to say all went well and we had an amazing trip! I suffer from fatigue but it wasn't a problem on the slopes. We skied every day, for a whole week, there was no mention of those 2 letters that follow me around!
                      The only time I struggled was in the busy airports, too much going on around me makes me feel spaced out.
                      Can't wait to go again!

Comment

It was great reading this thread and I'm very jealous of the ski trip to France (and Austria and Italy and Colorado!). I skiied Chamonix many years ago and it was fabulous! I did not go on my trip this winter. I was experiencing weird symptoms and didn't have a diagnosis nor seen a neuro and I got weirded out by the thought of becoming disabled on a ski slope somewhere. I have since gotten a Dx and started on copaxone and done a ton of reading .... so I am definitely going next winter! Thanks all!

Comment

Go for it Lucky Mom! 6 months ago when I was awaiting diagnosis I really didn't think I'd be able to ski or run or do any sport again - reading others experiences on here has helped keep me positive.
                          Now I'm having treatment I'm feeling pretty good and I'm gradually getting used to the strange little symptoms that pop up from timeto time.

The one tip I would offer if you decide to ski - choose a resort which has some skiing in the tree line. We had a day with low cloud and dreadful visibility, it freaked me out, my brain couldn't work out which way was up or down and I felt very wobbly.i found one run through the trees which was fine and stuck to that til the weather cleared. I became a big fan or power naps before my evening meals and made sure I had plenty of hot chocolate stops on the mountain!

Comment

Jenbear, the lack of a tree line in Europe was one of my biggest challenges on the slopes ever when one of our days turned snowy and cloudy. We had to board from signpost to signpost and we almost went off a cliff. And I didn't have MS then!

LuckyMom, I bet your legs be ready for the winter and I know you will crush it. Then again, you could just bolt to New Zealand or Chile this summer if you can't wait!
                            Dave Bexfield
                            ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                            X