MSers In Training 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4000 Miles Y T D

Some time this week I will hit the 4,000 mile mark on the bike for the year, a few more miles than I’ve put on my car. The goal is to hit 5,000 by the end of 2011. Personally, I think I’ll go over. I’m also walking quite well now, at least for relatively short periods.

The Tour de Tucson with DD is on again and she is getting faster. Only 8 weeks of training left. I’m shooting for 7:30 this year but I could probably live with 8:00. Of course, I’m sitting at about 9:00 right now. The pressure is on!

She also sent me notice of a 234 mile ride she wants us to do next year, a one day ride no less. I can’t believe I actually said I might consider the 157-mile option. Very odd for a guy who swears off of centuries every time he does one.

Still in the saddle,

AMF

Comment

• It is my pleasure Larry! It was great meeting you and being inspired by your ride! I rode unofficial SAG last year and that "hill" on the second day is super steep even in a truck! Great job for tackling it!And we all have a part in the advocacy, all of you with your rides, and Dave and I with the more public speaking. I hope to see you again here in NM next year!
      Originally posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
      Very kind words Dave, thank you. Some of that humility might have had a little to do with the 88 miles and 3,400 feet of ascent on day 1 of the MS ride there, but more on that later.

It was also a pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife Laura and of course, Dear Krista. It became quite apparent to me as I watched and listened to the post ride festivities, just how fortunate we are to have you and Krista to bring us together, publicize our cause and engage our political system to bring about the kind of legislation that will facilitate a cure and make our lives a little easier in the mean time. I am very grateful for all you do, thank you Dave and Krista.

Larry

Comment

• Make a new plan Stan

The first winter storm forecast portends the end of the cycling season here pretty soon and that caused me to reflect on the past year. For the most part it has been a very good year. I hope everyone else had a rewarding year too. I would actually quite like to hear about that if anyone has the time, does anyone think his or her training either helped or hurt their situation?

Of course, there was that one ride, “The Triple Bypass” that totally kicked my butt. The memory of that dismal failure and various other events have recently converged begging me to begin planning for next year. And so I have begun and here is how it starts.

The MS has caused me some undeniable weaknesses but for the past several years, with a little PT but primarily through rigorous exercise, I was able to strengthen many of those areas. However, we all face real limits and I’m probably coming up against that stage now and so I’ve decided it’s time to seek professional help.

Fortunately, there are sports medicine centers that specialize in helping people who have physical problems to make the most out of the abilities they still do possess. Turning to one of these centers is step one in my plan. I have made an appointment to get a “Medical Bike Fit”. It will include a 3D analysis of my cycling gait and address the significant weaknesses and discomforts that affect my riding.

The “Bike Fit” should also fit me optimally to my bike, in the event I’m not quite there now, and the very precise measurements that accomplish that will be transferable to a new bike. And that’s step 2, the new bike. I have it narrowed down to three bikes, I hope to select one within the next month or so.

Step three will be a new training program and that will start this winter but I have yet to put pencil to paper on that. I’ll keep you posted as things progress. For now, suffice to say, the “Triple Bypass” has not seen the last of this MSer.

Comment

• Bike Crash

Had a little accident yesterday, crossed a sidewalk seam with gravel in it on a corner, lost control of the bike, hit a wall, flipped over and ended up in a flower bed. Got it all on film thanks to my new helmet cam (Stella). All of this happened on my buddies new Cervelo no less. 3 x-rays and a consult at the "Doc in the Box" says no broken bones, just bruised and beaten. Getting my buddies bike checked out could be expensive though. Here's a short clip of the film,
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owrnc_7nabw.

Bummer, I was doing so well too, had a good chance of beating the rest of the family, except my iron man son-in-law, in the Tour de Tucson.

Hope it doesn't keep me down long,

AMF Adventures
          Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 10-17-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
            Had a little accident yesterday, crossed a sidewalk seam with gravel in it on a corner, lost control of the bike, hit a wall, flipped over and ended up in a flower bed. Got it all on film thanks to my new helmet cam (Stella). All of this happened on my buddies new Cervelo no less. 3 x-rays and a consult at the "Doc in the Box" says no broken bones, just bruised and beaten. Getting my buddies bike checked out could be expensive though. Here's a short clip of the film,
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owrnc_7nabw.

Bummer, I was doing so well too, had a good chance of beating the rest of the family, except my iron man son-in-law, in the Tour de Tucson.

Hope it doesn't keep me down long,

AMF Adventures
            Hi Larry, I am so sorry about the accident you had on your bike. It looked quite sore. I noticed there was a good samaritan approaching you? How nice! I am excited for you about the bike cam, albeit, it is supposed to capture an exciting bike ride. At least now, perhaps the cam could serve as a video chronicle? I hope you are okay now and not laid up because of the accident. Best of luck and keep us posted on any more videos! Thanks! Stella

Comment

• AMF, how are you feeling? I was thinking about you and Marina as I finished up an 8.5-mile, 45 minute ride. I was thinking: If I tip over my exercise bike trying to reach for my water that I left on the desk, I would crack my skull on the corner and it would really, really hurt. So I went thirsty until I was finished....
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

• Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
                AMF, how are you feeling? I was thinking about you and Marina as I finished up an 8.5-mile, 45 minute ride. I was thinking: If I tip over my exercise bike trying to reach for my water that I left on the desk, I would crack my skull on the corner and it would really, really hurt. So I went thirsty until I was finished....
                Hey Dave, well, for an old guy with MS who’s been out doing endos on a road bike, I guess I’m doing OK, thanks for the thought and for asking. Although I’m not 100% yet, I am back in the saddle and I will be riding in the Tour de Tucson (with the helmet cam Stella, I only hope some of it looks as exciting as it feels). Glad to see you’re still turning the cranks down there in Albuquerque too Dave.

The whole incident got me thinking a bit about just how much risk is involved in doing this stuff. I am by nature a reasonably cautious guy but that didn’t stop me from getting MS so at least a certain amount of risk is present no matter what. Rather than worrying about the risk, maybe it’s better to realize just how lucky we are to even be doing this stuff. Yeah, sure we need to be prepared for the inevitable setbacks and failures. But we also need to remember, it really is about health and well being and that sense of accomplishment we get when we are successful, no matter how big or small a thing that success might be.

I’ve been wondering about Marina too, wondering how she’s doing with those spin classes?

Comment

• Glad to hear about what you guys are up too.

I did like the spinning classes, a great workout. We decided to stick with them and have been going to 3 classes a week. I am really starting to reach some of my cardiovascular goals. I don't know if it will help, but I hope that if I stick with it over the winter that by the time next season comes along I will be in a better position that I was at the beginning of this season.

I have been wanting to try running out. I have not had a great time running before...I don't know if its because I get bored, or was not in good shape, or what...but I am not a runner. But then it's started annoying me that I "can't" so I am thinking about that.

Steve hates this but I have been eyeing a sprint triathlon (the small one)...I am in the fact gathering stage on that one though.

As for biking - I am so excited the MS society has decided to move BikeMS from Middleburg VA (extra, extra, extra hilly) about an hour away from the city to the National Harbour, 3 miles from home and while still some hills much more accessible. The society asked some of us to do a photo shoot out there on Sunday and Steve and I both went and had fun. I can't wait to see the pictures, I hope I am not making crazy face in all of them

Comment

• Tour de Tucson

DD and I both took a DNF on the Tour de Tucson at about the 75 mile mark. Work got in the way of DD's training and that earlier crash got in the way of mine. I knew it would be difficult to achieve our goals if we didn't get the training in, especially that critical last 4 or 5 weeks so we weren't surprised nor terribly disappointed and we certainly didn't let it get in the way of a lot of fun.

BTW Pell, my brother, SIL and I did Mt. Lemmon the next day. SIL did 26 miles to the top in 2:09, my brother and I did the first 10 miles in 2:00. You're right, the bottom is steeper, 3,000 of the total 6,000 ft. are in the first 10 miles. Even so, I felt better on Mt. Lemmon than I did on the Tour??? I'm sure it had a lot to do with better roads on Mt. Lemmon!

Marina, glad to hear the spin classes are working so well for you. It'll be interesting to see how the hills treat you next year now. In my experience, the hills don't exactly get easier, but at some point on the endurance and cardio curve, the challenge starts to become fun. Hard to believe, huh? Good luck on the tri too, that’s impressive.

So that's it, I can't wait to get off that bike. Saddle sores on my saddle sores, stiff neck and sore shoulders and seem to be developing a little Plantar Fasciitis. Definitely time for a break. The plan is to hit the weight room hard, do enough elliptical work to build my cardio a bit and just enough spin cycle work to keep my legs in some kind of shape. Then we start all over again in 2012! Can't Wait!!!!

Happy Holidays All,

AMF

Comment

• I just registered for BikeMS 2012....I signed up for the 100 mile route option. I am both terrified and excited.

They (thankfully) changed the ride from Middleburg VA (about an hour or so away and hilly as hell) to the National Harbor (10 minutes away and flatter, but not completely flat) so I am really looking forward to it in June!!

Comment

Working...
                      X