Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: One minute of arduous exercise comparable to 45 minutes of gentler sweating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: One minute of arduous exercise comparable to 45 minutes of gentler sweating

While this study doesn't feature MS patients, it has direct MS implications. One of the hardest things to do when you have our disease is to exercise for a long period of time due to overheating. I've long recommended working out in bursts to combat that, and this further cements that recommendation. And cardio is essential to maintain cognitive function and delay or prevent brain atrophy in multiple sclerosis. There is no excuse. - D

New York Times article link is below, full study is here: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0154075

-------------

1 Minute of All-Out Exercise May Have Benefits of 45 Minutes of Moderate Exertion

By Gretchen Reynolds, New York Times
    April 27, 2016 5:45 am

For many of us, the most pressing question about exercise is: How little can I get away with? The answer, according to a sophisticated new study of interval training, may be very, very little. In this new experiment, in fact, 60 seconds of strenuous exertion proved to be as successful at improving health and fitness as three-quarters of an hour of moderate exercise.

Let me repeat that finding: One minute of arduous exercise was comparable in its physiological effects to 45 minutes of gentler sweating.

I have been writing for some time about the potential benefits of high-intensity interval training....

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/0...on/?ref=health
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Dave, This is great news for everyone, esp. me. 10 min workout scientifically proven to be as helpful as 50 min of moderate exercise. Yay! I'm going to print out this paragraph from the NYTIMES link you gave:

"...the volunteers warmed up for two minutes on stationary bicycles, then pedaled as hard as possible for 20 seconds; rode at a very slow pace for two minutes, sprinted all-out again for 20 seconds; recovered with slow riding for another two minutes; pedaled all-out for a final 20 seconds; then cooled down for three minutes. The entire workout lasted 10 minutes, with only one minute of that time being strenuous."

Comment

Working...
    X