ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > Dave's SCT Journey

Old 04-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Default Leading MS researcher says HSCT should be first-line therapyŚwith a warning

Gavin Giovannoni is all in on HSCT... "if I had MS I would choose HSCT as my treatment." Nice to have researchers getting aboard this important treatment option. But he does have some caveats. -D

Quote:
We have to be honest with our patients about the risks and the benefits of HSCT and why we will limit HSCT to those who will benefit the most. In fact, there is evidence that more advanced patients may actually be made worse by HSCT; the chemotherapy used to ablate the immune system is neurotoxic and may speed up the neuronal loss. In addition, infections are common when you have HSCT and infections are well known to worsen MS disability in more advanced disease.

MORE: https://medium.com/@gavin_24211/fram...e-d64c128276b6
Old 04-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Interesting read. I have a head cold right now and can hardly walk yet alone work. I had a conversation with one of my employers this morning ... He thinks I shouldn't be waiting to see if the standard dmt will work, says I should do more (hsct) has been a regular topic. All I feel like doing is sitting around doing nothing. I see my neurologist in a few weeks and I want to mention these articles.