ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > General

Old 03-02-2016, 04:31 PM
MS Gladiator

Default C-section and MS

Since we are discussing surgery issues, I thought I would also add what I did for a scheduled c-section. I brought medical journal articles that showed it was acceptable and possibly preferable standard of care to have epideral instead of spinal for MS patients. This is controversial. But I had done my homework and was able to get anthesiologist to agree at a major teaching Hosp. There is a potential that demylenated areas are are more at risk for injury with a spinal and one of my lesions was in a vital area. The risk with epideral is that it doesn't completely numb you. If it doesn't, a general, which is even less preferable, can
Be administered. And I did have a tiny spot on my abdomen that didn't numb, and that $&&)/-. But i don't regret my decision. I did not have a flare or worsening of my MS afterwards. Whatever you decide for childbirth, read up on risks and benefits of different approaches. Takedown MS.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM
MS Yoda

Veronica, it looks to me like you've really done a stellar job getting ready for this. I can say, from personal experience, that rehabbing from shoulder surgery is critical to a quicker and fuller recovery and that it hurts like hell for at least the first couple of weeks. But this is the first I've heard of adverse effects from anesthesia. I'm interested to see others responses too.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing you on the slopes next winter.

I'll be thinking of you,
Larry
Old 03-13-2016, 07:03 PM
MS Warrior

Okay so I am six days post-surgery, and I thought I'd share with you my pre-surgery conversations with the anesthesiologist and my surgeon. I have to say I am very impressed with them both.. The anesthesiologist told me that the nerve block that they were putting in my shoulder would not trigger a relapse. And no general anesthesia would be used. She said the sedation that they would use on me was going to be one that I would come out of quickly after surgery, as she wanted me to have what I needed for the surgery, but didn't want it lingering in my body. She also said that she would put a little steroid in the IV to ward off an exacerbation . After the anesthesiologist left, my surgeon came back in and said that instead of a nerve block that lasts 12 hours she would use one that only lasts 6 hours. Again she said this was to lessen the total time that anesthesia would be in my body. Pretty impressive as far as I was concerned in their thoughtfulness in, and knowledge of, working with a person with MS.

And the result? Well, I'm still in some pain from the surgery and am having bouts of fatigue, but this all seems to be standard post-surgery experiences and not due to increased MS activity. I've started to increase my physical activity, and feel that I'm in good shape with balance and in walking. Just need to start building up endurance. Very nice feeling that I didn't end up taking major steps backwards from the surgery. Thanks for all the input.... helped me to formulate questions for my Medical team that they obviously took seriously. Now on to recovery!!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:53 PM
MS Gladiator

Glad all went well I hope you have a good and full recovery!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:33 PM
MS Gladiator

So glad things went well and the doctors took good care of you. Wishing you a speedy recovery ! Suebee
Old 03-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Veronica, so stoked to hear you are doing well. After my accident, fatigue has been an issue and all of my MS symptoms have ramped (but no relapse or anything). Makes sense with your experience. Just part of the territory. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 PM

Default How about PPMS and surgery

In August I will have major surgery to remove some cancer in my small bowl region a few resections possible and a spot on my liver removed. I have PPMS and have never had a relapse does anyone have any experence with PPMS and surgery?

I really liked the suggestion of the hot blankets, some would be nice but lets not go over board.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 PM
MS Gladiator

Outdoorslover, I'm sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. I think the biggest precaution one can take is to protect your lungs from pneumonia. Nurses and aides don't always have this on their mind. If allowed, you want the head of your bed 30 degrees up and definitely up at meals and at least 20 min after. You want to do deep breathing and coughing exercises that they can instruct you to do safely. Keep pain control adequate so you can get mobile asap. Veronica is a great example of how early and often PT furthers the recovery. I didn't have PT immediately and it was only 2 x a wk. I haven't got back to the same level of strength, and it's over a year now. Most importantly, be your strongest advocate and know we are out here "virtually" cheering you on. Suebee
Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Thank you for the great advice!
Old 06-15-2018, 06:33 PM

Default Late to the party

Hey all! This is a great thread. Thank you for your real life experiences!

I am considering an elective surgery. I have had RRMS for about 2.5 years. I haven't ever had a relapse. I am happily controlled on Aubagio. No new lesions for 2 years.

At 42 years old, I've married for 20, and opted out of making babies about 17 years ago. I have been on some form of hormonal birth control since I was 18 years old. I'm done. Sooooo DONE! Aunt Flo is a wretched bitch when it comes to her visiting. It's 10-13 days of complete misery. I'm over it. MORE than over it.
Goal: Stop Aunt Flow from visiting ever again.

My options presented today by the OB/GYN are 1. Hysterectomy - 4 weeks expected recovery. One less daily pill. Never again does Aunt Flo unpack for a visit. No accidental pregnancy.

or

2. Stay on the pill, don't skip the week off (I have been doing this for about 18 years). Requires a medication in my list of meds and if I ever forget and go off and have sex with my husband have a potential to get pregnant... and if you know me, you know what happens next.

Having never had a relapse, I don't truly understand what it is.
Do I want to chance having a relapse?
Do I want to stay on hormonal birth control for another 10 - 15 years on top of my MS meds?

Ahhhhh!!!!! #CalgonTakeMeAway

Has anyone else made a decision like this? I'm freaked out.