ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
MS Sage

Ouray is one of my favorite towns. Did you get to swim in the hot springs pool?
Yes, the hail stings alot. I haven't figured out my tolerance of the heat either. The humidity was fairly low and I was okay when moving on the bike. I got really hot during rest stops but they did have paper towels in ice water so that you could towel off and cool down. One rest stop at a church had AC and I hid inside during that entire break. I think on the second day there were many more hills, a stiff head wind and I was already tired.
My MS may be a milder variant- for now. My neurologist hasn't figured out what is going on with me. He is amazed with how well I am doing with all of the exercise. I have been off all meds for 2 years after having reactions to both Avonex and Copaxone. He has mentioned CIS.
Spent the day taking the MIL to the doctor. I will take MS over Alzheimers...

Pell
Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
MS Yoda

Default Ms 150

Did just an hour yesterday morning at a very easy intensity. Hope I haven't taken it too easy this week, the MS 150 is still 150 miles, no mean feat and I'm feeling pretty drug out. Weather's looking fairly good, a little on the warm side for Saturday and possible showers on Sunday.

There have been a number of times when I've gone out for long hard hours on the bike and got up the next day able to walk almost perfectly. I'm thinking venous insufficiency might explain some of this, in fact, might explain why I seem to feel so much better wrt the MS when I persue rigorous cardiovascular exercise period. What it doesn't explain though is how the effects of some of the neural damage which is undoubtedly permanent, can come and go to the extent it seems to. Guess it's time to go see my Neuro. The Neuro's in my area haven't shown a lot of support for some of the newer MS theories like CCSVI but I suppose it is the place to start.

Ouray along with a hand full of other small towns in Colorado like Lake City and Crested Butte, display the idyllic mountain town setting. It's easy to see why it would be a favorite, they are captivating places. I meant to take a lot more pictures than I did but being in survival mode going up those hills and in white knuckle mode coming down just didn't lend itself to much opportunity for photography. Maybe next time.

AMF
Old 06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
MS Sage

Default Good luck!!!

AMF- you are the last of our little group to ride their MS 150. I am sure you will do great. I hope it isn't too hot on today.

It is very hot here. Yesterday was a pleasant day and I rode 33 miles with absolutely no fatigue. I felt great. Today I arranged a 50 mile ride with a friend and she had to nurse me along. We took 5 hours- 3:47 pedaling time- to cover 55 miles. ARGHHH. The heat got to me big time. I am so toast. This was my normal reaction to heat. Still don't understand why I was so strong on the MS ride but I wish I could get that back. DH didn't go on this ride but he wants to do a 50 mile club ride tomorrow. I think he is on his own.

Report on your MS ride when you can.

Pell
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
MS Yoda

Default 2010 Bike MS

Well, I wouldn’t call it a piece of cake, but I would say the hills weren’t nearly as bad as I remember them from last year. It was 70 degrees and raining when I got to the start cue and didn’t stop for about an hour. I don’t mind riding in the rain, at 70 degrees I love it. It stayed cool until just before the bigger hills towards the end and then the sun came out and things heated up for the climb. When I got to the top and sat down to adjust my socks, the clouds moved back in and made for a very pleasant ride into Ft. Collins. I did the 73 miles in 4:45, only 15 minutes better than last year…and I thought I was really booking it the whole time. Guess I’ll work on speed next season.

Colorado MS tried to put on their usual excellent show at the finish but the weather didn’t cooperate. High winds, rain and lightening shut everything down twice. The second time, most people gave up and went to their rooms, including me.

The second day stayed below 80 all day, heat was never a problem. There were 3 people with the “I ride with MS” jerseys that I played leapfrog with for most of the ride. One guy was really a strong rider. He’d blow by me, ride miles ahead, then pass me again. I guess it was a ride hard, rest, ride hard, rest routine. He finished after me but he wasn’t gimping around like I do. Then there was a girl who was passing me on the hills early in the ride. I rode with her for quite a bit but eventually she petered out had to stop for some extended recovery. The third guy was just a solid rider. He’d pass me on the flats and I’d pass him on the hills and we rode like that for hours. At the rest stops, he gimped around about like I do. If I finished a little ahead of him, it was only because of a very long hill a few miles from the end.

This has been a spectacular season and I thank all of you who’ve listened to my tales and told some of your own. I’m going to take some extended time off the bike now to rest and recover but I think it's only appropriate that I leave the “2010 Bike MS Ride” with the call of the “Raw Hinie”.

Hinie Ho,

AMF Adventures

Pell, don't suppose you're considering the "Tour de Tucson"? We could give Mt. Lemmon another shot.

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 06-27-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Wow, wow, wow! Sounds like a fantastic ride. The photo - seriously - so pretty! AMF, Pell, you guys are an inspiration.

I think I need to move somewhere other than the Dallas area. Today it's in the mid 90's with a ton of humidity. I haven't been outside on my bike since the ride but I ride 3x a week on my trainer for about an hour and 15 minutes. Also I'm starting to enjoy the spin class at my gym. I feel I'm getting stronger so who knows. Another ride IS in my future!

Thanks for sharing and the encouragement!

Jenn
Old 10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
MS Yoda

Default 2010 Bike MS

The final fund raising results for 2010 are in. The "Raw Hinies", the team I rode the MS 150 with, raised $239,013. They were the highest fund raising team in Colorado for 2010, by far.

Congratulations Team Raw Hinies. Although I'm not sure you get all the credit you're due, as one who deals with MS on a daily basis, I am deeply and sincerely grateful for your all of your efforts.

Hinie Ho,

AMF Adventures

ps: if you yell "Hinie Ho" into a room full of raw hinies, you will get a room full of "Hinie Ho's" back.

pps: I can't wait to see every one again on "Bike MS, 2011".