ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 AM
MS Yoda

It probably makes sense that we would tend to cramp more in the heat since our bodies go through more electrolytes trying to keep us cool. Still, I have noticed more cramping lately but in my case at least, I think it may be due to an attempt to lower dietary intake of salt. Ahh, the tradeoff's, lower blood pressure and a possible salt connection to MS vs. cramping in heat.

I get trashed out in severe heat too but I find I can recover with a cold drink and 10 to 20 minutes in the shade, at least well enough to get out of trouble.

AMF
Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Shawn, I personally haven't had cramping with temps. But I totally get that 90-degree limit. Without a cooling vest, I'm lucky to last 15 minutes....
Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Optimistic Misfit

I also have all the heat issues talked about... numbness, bad vision, and my body just doesn't want to deal with the heat like it used to.

That said, I did a 70 mile ride this summer in 100 degree temps - by stuffing a 3 Liter camelback full of ice and topping it off it at gas stations along the way. The camelback pack has a mesh back (not foam) so my entire spine was frozen - keeping me nice and cool. I was pretty impressed at how well it worked - My core was kept cold about 4 hours before the ice melted and I needed to refill, and I had freezing cold water along the way. My poor (non-ms) friend got heat stroke! The pack part was an older model, but i'm sure you could modify a new one to rip out the foam backing easily. Just figured i'd pass the tip along to those who don't have cooling vests, or need something that lasts a while.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:54 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

The New York Times just published an article on how to stay cool while exercising in hot weather. If only they had read this thread first! - D

---------------

Cue your favorite heat-related tune: maybe it’s Buster Poindexter’s “Hot, Hot, Hot,” Coolio’s “Too Hot” or Cole Porter’s inevitable “Too Darn Hot,” because it has been almost too darn hot to exercise outside in many areas lately. You might also include the Rio Olympics theme song. “It was very hot,” the women’s Olympic marathon champion Jemima Jelagat Sumgong of Kenya told reporters on Sunday after the 26-mile race, which featured withering temperatures in the 80s and drenching humidity.

In such conditions, many people choose to move their workouts into air-conditioned gyms. But whether out of necessity or by choice, others continue to exercise and compete outside.

For them, a new study of exercise in the heat could provide both relief and encouragement, because it suggests that one of the simplest, most low-tech ways to cool yourself during steamy workouts may also be the most effective.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/0...tionfront&_r=0
Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 PM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

Smile

I usually have a spray bottle full of cold water when riding a stationary bike. I'll spray my arms,legs,and neck when my vision starting getting blurry. After my ride, I'll take a cool shower. Dad, I'll have to try pre-cooling. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-20-2016, 01:16 PM
MS Sage

Default Take a shower during exercise...

So, I play indoor soccer most weeks throughout the year. I am moderately sensitive to heat. I can run a half marathon at freezing point and below in about 2 hours. By the time it gets to 40F, I can maybe run a few miles...then I have to slow down or stop. By the time it gets to 65F I can maybe run short distances (a hundred yards perhaps) - but then have to walk. By the time it gets to 85F - walking only and for short distances only. You get the picture. I know that many of us live with more restrictions due to the heat than I do.

The building we play in is not air conditioned in the traditional way. Instead uses a more environmentally conscious mechanism which shame on me I am not able to describe.

While it does help cool the place - is not as effective as the more traditional environmentally destructive form. Typical temps when playing in this facility in the summer time are in the mid 70s F by about 7:30pm. I can participate but having to rest more by walking or standing than I would if it was a game in the middle of winter where I can run/sprint the entire game.

Things I do to help mitigate the heat:
- stuff a cooler with my cooling vest and lots of replacement ice packs for the cooling vest
- also put other types of ice packs and cold water in the cooler
- as the evening progresses, I am swapping out the ice packs in the cooling vest, and draping ice packs around my neck etc..

Most importantly though, the facility has a shower...so I will go and take a shower between games. This is very much aligned with the concept expressed in this New York Times article about spraying your body with water on a regular basis. Granted, I don't have showers every 5 minutes - but does help to quickly cool the core down to help me continue.

Yes, I know that exercising in the heat perhaps not a good idea if you are heat sensitive with MS. But, I enjoy playing indoor soccer - which incents makes me to exercise which I would not during the warm summer months. Is a trade-off between being inactive (not good for any of us) vs. the risk of heat induced symptoms etc.. (also not good).