ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 12-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Default Thanks for the inspiration!

Greetings Fellow MSers,
I've only been lurking for a few days but have read all the posts. I am impressed with what everyone is doing to stay in shape and beat this nasty disease. I was diagnosed in 1979. I was in and out of the hospital frequently for the first 2 years. My doctor told my wife to find a nursing home placement for me because i was progressing rapidly. Went into a longterm remission and up until about 3 years ago I was doing really well. Now i am having problems walking. For fitness I use 2 walking sticks, actually they are Exerstrider Nordic walking poles. I absolutely love them. For shorter trips i use one pole and that works. I am an avid cyclist but my numbers are not like some of yours. I have a road bike but transitioned to a trike last summer. The comfort of the trike is amazing as is the safety. Like others have mentioned, cars give me more space then they ever have when I've been on my 2 wheeler. I am slow on the trike. Like someone else mentioned, i ride in the big ring most of the time since it is hard to spin with spastic legs. The bike shop added a bigger ring on the front which helped some but still not enough for my competitive spirit. I tell my buddies that I am thankful I can still ride despite my M.S. But that doesn't mean i like to ride slow! I ordered a Bike Friday that should be arriving any day now. I feel with the road bike, Bike Friday and trike have my riding needs/desires pretty well covered.
I live in the frozen tundra and like to snowshoe and X-C ski but so far we have very limited snow . I recently joined the local YMCA. I go to 2 spin classes and 2 Pilates classes. My daughter sent me an article about Pilates for people with M.S. So I decided to give it a try. I am 60 and I am twice as old as anyone in the class and likely 3 times older than a few. It's only been two classes but I am working core muscles I didn't know i had!

Back to the trike. My right knee bends in to the point my leg brushes against the chain. When i got done with the 300 mile M.S. TRAM last summer i had some nasty looking raspberries on my leg. I bought a leg sleeve to wear and that helps but I would be interested in learning more about the "butt bra" or whatever you are calling it. I purchased the trike because i was struggling to get on & off my road bike, it wasn't a balance issue for me. I am really hoping my Pilates sessions will improve my flexibility and make that task easier.

When I was diagnosed, my dad came into my room and said " nothing is so bad it doesn't do some good". How true he was. I have met some absolutely wonderful people throughout my journey, i really enjoy my riding, skiing and snowshoeing buddies. They give me a hard time and I give it right back. We do our thing and maybe stop for a beer. We all do the M.S. Rides together. It has turned into a fun social group for my wife and me.

Let's all keep moving to the best of our abilities because I am quite certain exercise is one of the keys to beating this disease.

Happy Holidays to You & Yours!

Sent from my iPad
Old 12-15-2014, 08:09 AM
MS Whisperer

Welcome, Grady. Your exercise routine is impressive.
More later. I'm in a rush at the moment but wanted to say hello.

Teena Marie
Old 12-16-2014, 04:12 PM
MS Yoda

Grady, welcome. The TRAM ride looks like quite a feat, congratulations, and on a trike? You are absolutely right, exercise is key, if not to beating MS, certainly to living with it. Glad you joined us.

TM, your commitment and perseverance is always inspiring. Hope the winter doesn't last too long up there. More on core later.

I spent a very pleasant evening with Veronica in Breckenridge over a beer while she was here. We are probably kindred spirits of the adventurous kind, definably not just because of the MS. Afraid I haven't gotten that tail light fixed yet though V.

And speaking of core, the plyometrics have been postponed in favor of more core. As I tried to pick up my exercise routines, it became woefully apparent that core was the big problem. It's a slow go as some of those newly reactivated core muscles probably haven't seen much use in quite a while but it seems to be what's needed. Also, except for a brief cold spell, the weather has been exceptionally nice so I had to get the bike back out, clean it up, fix it's flat tires and hit the trails again. If the weather holds out I could see a total of 4,000 miles this year. On those days which are not suitable for a fair weather rider like myself, I try to walk.

It's a little harder during the holidays but we're still moving here,

Happy Hollidays
Old 12-16-2014, 08:34 PM
MS Whisperer

And Welcome Grady from me, too! I'd love to know what brand/model your trike is that allowed you to do such an ambitious ride as the TRAM....

I am hoping to be able to share some info on a solution to so many of us who have the knee knocking issue. I met someone recently who has a spinal cord injury and has gone on to great things in the adaptive sports world. He is working with a designer on custom seating for hand cycles, kayaks, wheelchairs, sit skis, and I asked him about something for our issue on trikes. Once we have our conversation, I will share with all.

Yes, Mr. AMF Adventures and I had a very enjoyable time sharing stories. I think we are twins separated at birth.... but really Larry, cops pulling us over TWICE didn't get you to get the light fixed?? Or are you getting to know your local law enforcers??

Teena Marie: you asked about calf stretches, and I sent you info via private message...did you get it??

I have been pretty lax in all my exercises these past three weeks with the exception of stretches and balance stuff. Just saw Herb today, so he has tweaked out some of my core exercises and has given me some mods for the planks. I'm making progress, and see that when I get myself back into a more consistent routine again, ( that means NOW...) I will be able to get the nerve muscle connection going on the side planks that at times still leave me not even knowing how to engage the muscles.

I also hope you all have good holidays!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Default Trike

I have a Catrike Expedition. I purchased an extender from Utah Trikes that allows me to put a 700cc back wheel on it which improved the speed a couple mph. I also added assist bars to it that really help to get out of it.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:50 AM
MS Whisperer

I've never used private notifications so I hadn't even noticed! Thanks, Veronica. I'll make contact with Herb after Christmas.

Larry,so great you're getting in some more riding. Thanks for your words. Perfect timing.

Take care all and happy season.

Teena Marie
Old 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Grady, so nice to meet you. And I can attest that the assist bars really help on a trike.

Great to see all the updates!